I LOVE PINE!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babalu87

Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2005
middleborough, ma.
There, I said it and do not feel at all guilty.

It is the perfect wood for this time of year, stupid me for not using more of it in the past.

Things said about Pine.
"It doesnt heat like Oak or Maple"
Well, sometimes I dont want the heat of Oak.

"Too much creosote"
O'RLY? Like any other wood that isnt dry enough?

"It wont burn all night"
I dont want it to burn all night.

Takes the chill out of the house right quick and it doesnt last long enough to get the house to 80.

I think I will have 2 full cord ready for next year. I have plenty of it here and need room for Apple/Asian Pear/Hazelnut trees

babalu87 said:
I think I will have 2 full cord ready for next year.

Me too!

Oh. Never mind.

Attachments

• I LOVE PINE!
    2007 pine.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 596
come and get all you want!!!

I LOVE PINE!

I LOVE PINE!

I LOVE PINE!

the big part has already been debarked

Well you can have it, and all that sap that goes with it. I'll stick with my Oak, Maple, and Locust and just load less of it during the fall.

Todd said:
Well you can have it, and all that sap that goes with it. I'll stick with my Oak, Maple, and Locust and just load less of it during the fall.

The funny thing about the pines here is I haven't gotten sap on my hands once in as long as I can remember. These just don't have it and I don't know what the deal is with that.

hey , ive burned it. no ill Effects to stove , cat or flue, but like any other wood, it needs to be seasoned, green pine is a mess! besides, a lot of folks out west burn virtually all pine, pinon and ponderosa, and the like cause thats all there is to burn, some of that pine compares very favorably to some hardwoods from what i hear as well, i guess some of our western bretren could comment on that(hint hint)

I got a cord of (huge) white pine a couple years ago, the pitch stains are still quite visible in my jeans. Especially the bottom pieces, which were essentially fatwood. But the pine I got this year (red pine? virginia pine? something scaly) had none, possibly because none were from near ground level. (Homeowner kept 8-10' "stumps" for birds.)

DiscoInferno said:
I got a cord of (huge) white pine a couple years ago, the pitch stains are still quite visible in my jeans. Especially the bottom pieces, which were essentially fatwood. But the pine I got this year (red pine? virginia pine? something scaly) had none, possibly because none were from near ground level. (Homeowner kept 8-10' "stumps" for birds.)

Yeah I am just south of you and have the same pines. No sap. Cones the size of a quarter. I guess we have the underachievers of the pine family.

Some of the pine out here in Wyoming has a matter of milimeters between growth rings. 100+ year old trees 8-10 inches in diameter. Fairly dense stuff. I think Mountain Stove Guy has some a little denser than we have here down in Colorado. He's up a little higher with about the same amount of rain. Ponderosa pine is awesome. Only the top really has any brances to speak of, generally you get 20-30+ feet of trunk. No de-limbing it's nice. Also dries real fast and even. Father in law cut up 20 or so trees and cut them into 15-20 logs. Let them dry four or five months and I cut, split and burned them it was perfectly seasoned.

Interesting observation - I certainly won't fight you for the pine, but from the pics, it looks like you are going about it the right way. Anytime a tree that big falls practically ON the woodpile and within a couple dozen feet of the house, why not burn it!

The 'lighter' woods are always great for the 'cool' season burns, but if I don't have any pine or poplar handy, I substitute some hedge branches or logs that have been split down to the 2x2 or 2x3 range. The size of the wood controls heat as much or more-so than the species.

I'm with ya. I burned a couple cords of it last year, and I love having it around. I'm getting a couple loads of Cedar from my father's next door neighbor, and I'm loving it. Cedar smells great, and it burns the best of all pines.

Like all tree genus', there are definitely differences between the species, like what they call hard and soft pines, red and white oak, sugar and silver maple, honey and black locust. I burn more of the pine, spruce and hemlock that i get in my fireplace to get a fire ripping quickly and then mix in the harder woods. I also use some of the less dense woods for fall and spring burning in the Avalon.

Warren said:
I'm with ya. I burned a couple cords of it last year, and I love having it around. I'm getting a couple loads of Cedar from my father's next door neighbor, and I'm loving it. Cedar smells great, and it burns the best of all pines.

Your gonna get the Creasotes' I tell ya, I can feel it in my bones. :lol:

I think the whole "Pine is Evil" thing came from old timer wood snobs, in a smoke dragon, burning green pine. And thats not good.

It is what I refer to as a "flash" fire, because the pine around here burns like a sheet of news paper.......but it burns.

yeah, the pitch itself tells me to leave it alone,..

Status
Not open for further replies.