I have to say, I'm pleased with the Jotul 500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ron45

Sep 22, 2018
Central New Mexico
But I'd like some more info on using it wisely. I'm 73 and frugal with resources, OK I'm just plain stingy!
So, with the 4oo to 800 degree optimum temps, and I read 765 on my infrared temp reader it seems I should back off the air in and or close the damper ....some? maybe? not at all. By this time the wood is mostly embers
The other side of this thinking is, `what about build up in the spark arrester? I just went up and checked. There's
about a 16th or a little more buildup on the half inch squares that are supposed to keep the sparks from causing trouble.

I have 16' of flue pipe. Also, I have two 45's in the chimney flue not counting the 4' section of triple wall thru the roof penetration. Hence my concern about build up. I'm aware of the weight of each peace of wood I pick up and try to keep the seasoned stuff separate from newer stuff. But I have two pick up loads of wood from a neighbors thinning project and it's supposedly is seasoned, But I've handled several pieces that are too heavy for the size or have sections of splintering from the guy's spliter that are way too bendy.

I instinct would be to avoid the heave stuff this winter or... not put more than one of those in the stove during and active burn. I have seen a temp of 975 on the stove top. I dialed back the air on that one for a while.

I'd very much appreciate any advice of suggestions regarding what I've said. I'd much rather be corrected than
ignorant about the optimal way do manage this piece of equipment.

Sometimes it's a while before I get back here. I am having memory issues and am on some meds that are supposed to help but so far...... So it's possible I may have asked about some of this before. Almost forgot. I'm also close to terminally dyslexic. So far spell check is riding herd on my typing pretty well.

Thank you all for you time if you feel like helping me burn as little wood as possible.

Ron

The stove will need dry wood only to keep the flue clean. It sounds like you are not turning down the air soon enough. 975º on the stove top is overfiring and damaging. Keep it below about 750º. I suggest always setting a timer after starting a fire. Set it for 10 minutes to remind you to check the fire. If it still needs more time set it to another 10 minutes. Turn down the air until the fire gets lazy.

I concur, 975 is way to hot. When I hit >700 the "I'm to hot smell happens". Watch that cap screen. Many people and me plug it up halfway through the first year. Mine was a gooey mess. It's just the wood is not well seasoned.