I got the Lopi Freedom, looking for tips to do the liner by myself. Yes by myself.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

murinsky

Jan 11, 2011
SW CT
Hi all, I got the thing in, I hit it with a wire wheel and a few coats of stove bright metallic gold and metallic blue. I think it looks great, I am hoping the blue lightens up a little when it cures.

I have the liner on the ground, ready to go. Due to Covid I am going to do it by myself. I am used to working by myself and did my last install that way, just looking for any tips or tricks to make my life easier. This one is a little more ambitious; slightly steeper roof (but still walkable) and longer liner.

I am planning to just pull it down with a rope a little at a time. I have a pulling cone. Climb up, unroll, push, climb down, pull, climb up, unroll, push, curse, climb down, pull, climb up, push, curse, etc. Is 6" each trip too ambitious of a goal? Even then it would only by 3 hours. I can deal with that.

For what it's worth, I got the stove into the truck, out of the truck, and from the truck to the fireplace by myself. Like I said, I'm used to flying solo.

If anyone has any tips or hints for this, I would be happy to hear!

Thanks

Attachments

• I got the Lopi Freedom, looking for tips to do the liner by myself.  Yes by myself.
    IMG_2359.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 137
  • I got the Lopi Freedom, looking for tips to do the liner by myself.  Yes by myself.
    IMG_2358.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 133
    IMG_2357.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 123
Hi all, I got the thing in, I hit it with a wire wheel and a few coats of stove bright metallic gold and metallic blue. I think it looks great, I am hoping the blue lightens up a little when it cures.

I have the liner on the ground, ready to go. Due to Covid I am going to do it by myself. I am used to working by myself and did my last install that way, just looking for any tips or tricks to make my life easier. This one is a little more ambitious; slightly steeper roof (but still walkable) and longer liner.

I am planning to just pull it down with a rope a little at a time. I have a pulling cone. Climb up, unroll, push, climb down, pull, climb up, unroll, push, curse, climb down, pull, climb up, push, curse, etc. Is 6" each trip too ambitious of a goal? Even then it would only by 3 hours. I can deal with that.

For what it's worth, I got the stove into the truck, out of the truck, and from the truck to the fireplace by myself. Like I said, I'm used to flying solo.

If anyone has any tips or hints for this, I would be happy to hear!

Thanks
First is the liner insulated?

Yes the blue will lighten quite a bit.

What size is the flue you are installing the liner in?

First is the liner insulated?

Yes the blue will lighten quite a bit.

What size is the flue you are installing the liner in?

The liner is not insulated per se but I plan to stuff and blow in rock wool after it is done. This has worked well for me in my other install. I think the flue is 7x11 clay but I'll have to confirm. About half of the chimney is in conditioned space and the adjacent flue is an old oil boiler that runs like crazy.

I'm just looking for any tips to help do it by myself.

Thanks

The liner is not insulated per se but I plan to stuff and blow in rock wool after it is done. This has worked well for me in my other install. I think the flue is 7x11 clay but I'll have to confirm. About half of the chimney is in conditioned space and the adjacent flue is an old oil boiler that runs like crazy.

I'm just looking for any tips to help do it by myself.

Thanks
My first tip is check for required clearances to combustibles. Since your chimney is interior you need 2" clearance between the outside of the masonry structure and combustible materials. If you don't have that you need to insulate to meet code and for safety reasons. If it is an 8x12 it is very possible a round 6" will not fit even bare and absolutely won't when insulated properly. An oval liner may be required