I can't make myself shut down the stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A whopping 30 headed for 18 here and the stove is cold and the heaters are cranking. Need a night off. I will hate it when I come out from under the blanket in the morning but...

We ran out of wood (this year's dry wood) last night, so I'm with you BB. We have a bed warmer (like an electric blanket that goes UNDER you)......talk about not wanted to come out from under the blanket:confused:

We ran out of wood (this year's dry wood) last night, so I'm with you BB. We have a bed warmer (like an electric blanket that goes UNDER you)......talk about not wanted to come out from under the blanket:confused:
We are into 2014 wood and at first I felt really bad about burning it but now it's burn baby burn!!! Hope not to touch 2015 piles, loooooong winter.

2016,2017 wood lying in the yard to be split stacked and drying for the next three years.

I just can't do it.......I can't force myself to touch 2014 wood.:(

I'm saving about 1/6 of a cord of my dry stuff in case of a power outage. So i'm done for now. Not only has winter stayed late, it also started early. I was burning mid-October, normally it's not until November. Leaving early tomorrow morning though for warmer weather and taking my golf clubs :) :) :)

Looking back, to last fall, I'm really. really glad that I decided to take an extra 4 loads from my awesome firewood guy.

20F here in Icey Hollow tonight.

50 - 60F over the weekend.

And a manure load of splitting to be done.

Looking back, to last fall, I'm really. really glad that I decided to take an extra 4 loads from my awesome firewood guy.

20F here in Icey Hollow tonight.

50 - 60F over the weekend.

And a manure load of splitting to be done.
A manure load of splitting, I hear you!!!

The loads are getting smaller, and longer between re-loads. Until it goes north of 65/45, I'll at least be torching a few splits at night....

Last edited:
We're bouncing back and forth between the heat pump and stove lately. I'll probably start a fire tomorrow morning, but tonight I'm being lazy.

It was 40 the other day and the house stated at 73 inside with no stove running... now its 8 degrees again. sigh.

If you're cold inside the house and have wood ... fire 'er up ... Outside temp doesn't matter to me so much as the inside temp.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
I also ran out of this years, but kept a few loads for emergency. When my friend from Tyrone Pa came to visit this weekend, I was burning when the outside was in the 40-50's. She is one of those "cold" people, they keep their house in the 80's;sick. She stood right next to it for about a half hour one time, I was shocked as I can't stand that close for more than a few minutes. I could smell the fibers on her clothes singe, like you smell when you are ironing.

I was sure my neighbors must have thought I was nuts, but I was not about to crank the heat up to that temp.

Last night and the night before I was burning, temps in the teens and snow on the ground.

Been burning 2014 split for about a month now.... sucks, but you do what you have to do.

Yup , same here . Have reduced myself to saving the rest of next years wood and have been cooking fuel blocks just at night . Use my Big Buddy heater during the day to just take the nip outta the air .

Eyeing the dwindling seasoned wood nervously... . I would prefer not to poach '14/'15s wood, but will if this seemingly interminable cold continues. I'm hoping for sunny days and seasonably warm temperatures (which may be in vain, I know).

Major splitting and stacking in our future, too! I may even follow Dixie's lead and buy some wood this year (it can't hurt and it's already split!)

Well I guess I'll have to shut it down now. Got some folks coming to buy it (I hope they show). After that time to finish up the hearth, purchase the 13nc and cut more wood

I'm at 11 face cords now..will prolly hit 4 cord before all is done. Burnt 3.3 last season.

Eyeing the dwindling seasoned wood nervously... . I would prefer not to poach '14/'15s wood, but will if this seemingly interminable cold continues. I'm hoping for sunny days and seasonably warm temperatures (which may be in vain, I know).

Major splitting and stacking in our future, too! I may even follow Dixie's lead and buy some wood this year (it can't hurt and it's already split!)

You won't regret it Bobbin. I buy most of my firewood. To be honest, the price I pay for it almost negates the scrounging, processing, etc. It's only when I can get a major scrounge that I process my firewood. Or, like now, where I have a massive amount of "too bigs for either stove". Lucky that I can borrow a splitter when needed to get this done. It's how I'll be spending the next few weekends.

The first year I added the 13, I thought I had enough firewood. Then it snowed Christmas night, and we had snow on the ground until April. And it was bloody cold. I was in deep trouble by February, and the oil burner does not work. Got lucky with firewood from the barn, and a massive Craigs list score that the Dixette found (the guy apologized for bringing us a cord of oak & maple that was to dry :p). Never again.

Shoot.
My wood is just getting dry enough to burn.
But miserly wood burning have left me with about 2 cords pine for next year.
Daytime temps have been high enough that I've only been burning at night since Feb ended.
I don't mind it being low 60's during the day. House cranks up to 70 before bedtime.
60/30 for the next few weeks, so the end is near, but not here yet.

I had to turn the stove off for two days due to being away :) feels weird sitting in a hotel room without tending to my wood heat. I feel I should be checking on the stove or bringing in rounds for the overnight burn. Dont get me wrong its nice to be away with the family and having a good time but the daily habit is missing. Turned the furnace to 14 c so it will be chilly when I get home Saturday night.

Reactions: firebroad
I've been wanting to shut it down....burning wood that was meant for the firepit......as a matter of fact, it's down now, but I know as soon as she wakes, she'll fire it up. Next problem is gonna be the firepit, and camping trips....we keep burning that stack in the stove.

I have some ecobricks in the basement, but because the price went up the the count went down, I've been kind of hoarding them...unless the temps go back to the teens, I will control myself until next year.;hm

If you're cold inside the house and have wood ... fire 'er up ... Outside temp doesn't matter to me so much as the inside temp.

Exactly! The inside of my house tends to quickly mimic the outside temperature. I'll be burning soft maple & uglies until May. Plenty in the stacks, which is a nice feeling

Status
Not open for further replies.