I bought my insert 3 years ago and it’s time to replace the door gasket. I am having a hard time removing the old glue. Any tips?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

FDRchats

Oct 22, 2021
East Tennessee
Thanks in advance for any advice. I was expecting it to be hardened and brittle but it is rubbery like silicone caulk. I thought I would make quick work of it but it’s really slow going. I’ll finish this one with a flathead and elbow grease but I have another stove that I going to change the gasket out also. How do you guy do it?

I used a wire wheel on a drill and that worked well to get the bits of cement out of there. Careful using a crappy flathead screwdriver as a scraper worked for getting the big stuff loose.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Thanks for the advice! I was actually in the garage looking for one. You know how stuff tends to disappear when it only gets used once or twice a a year. Glad to know it will work once I find it.

Thanks for the advice! I was actually in the garage looking for one. You know how stuff tends to disappear when it only gets used once or twice a a year. Glad to know it will work once I find it.

I start with the screwdriver and the move to the wire wheel for the little bits. Good luck

I think the RED high temp silicone is superior for lower temp DIY uses and should be fine for your needs. We tried the clear adhesive and it made the whole rope brittle where the sealant touched it. The black cement like adhesive really did not grab the seal to our satisfaction. I used a razor blade to clean most of the rope and fibers off then used a wire wheel for the remainder. I then cleaned the channel with brake cleaner, let dry, and used the red silicone. High Temp Red Silicone is our choice.

Last time I redid the gasket I used red silicone. No issues for last 4 yrs since then.