I’m getting tired of lichen on the hull

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
For the amount of time I get to sail now, a slower boat hasn’t been an issue, but the stuff is really taking hold now and needs to come off!

So, this will be my day!

I’m getting tired of lichen on the hullI’m getting tired of lichen on the hullI’m getting tired of lichen on the hullI’m getting tired of lichen on the hullI’m getting tired of lichen on the hull

well that is aggressive most people use a scraper.. Might want to re do the gel coat on that and it will help in the future.

Wouldn't a pressure washer work better?
I cleaned off lichen from my flat aluminum sun roof with the pressure washer, worked great.

A pressure washer isn’t a bad idea. I don’t have one here though! I ended up using a scraper and then sanding. I have half done. There’s a couple damaged areas of fiberglass that I’ll need to epoxy. 50 years of use, neglect, and sandbars have caused some wear and tear. A clear coat isn’t a bad idea.

Reactions: stoveliker
Put some epoxy over some of the scrapes and impact spots. Hopefully I mixed the putty and hardener well enough.

I’m getting tired of lichen on the hullI’m getting tired of lichen on the hull

Reactions: thewoodlands
That's starting to look a lot better.

Hull is patched. The epoxy didn’t seem to be hardening like it should have so I took a q tip and the bottle of hardener and coated the outside of the patches. They were so thin it worked! I did a quick wash down to remove any of the hardener residue that was still laying on the top. It said 15 minute harden, 24 hour cure. I’ll sand it fair tomorrow morning.