Huh? What? Confused! Excited!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
northlineexpress lists it for $146 and says "You won't find SuperPro at your local hardware or home center store. SuperPro Class-A Chimney from Supervent Products is sold only to professionals!" [ http://www.northlineexpress.com/printItem.asp?ic=5SE-SPR6L36&eq;=&Tp;= ]

ventingpipe.com lists it for $139.90

stovepartsplus shows 129.29

why does my local Farm and Home supply store sell it for just a few cents under $80?!?!?!?

Should I buy out their entire stock at my next paycheck and sell them all on ebay? what's the deal?

Seriously considering this instead of a flex liner with insulation down my chimney.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Huh? What? Confused! Excited!
    DSCN0839 (Medium).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 525
I think the product a Farm center is Super Vent-- I bought it at lowes last year for just over $60 a length.

Still made by same company- Selkirk but a lesser grade.

deck2 said:
I think the product a Farm center is Super Vent-- I bought it at lowes last year for just over $60 a length.

Still made by same company- Selkirk but a lesser grade.
it is selkirk, but the box (pictured above - taken in the store tonight) clearly says SuperPro

I keep hearing it's a lesser grade, even "dangerous". So were the folks at Selkirk lying to me when I called and asked directly whether the Supervent was a lesser grade and they assured me they don't make a lesser grade? If it's UL 103HT listed, is UL lying as well? What gives? Why doesn't someone from Selkirk get on here and settle this. I keep seeing the same arguments and I'm prone to think it's from the retailers that want to charge $180 for a piece of pipe that could be had at the box stores for $65.

It sounds like they need to go back to price discrimination school.

"Lesser Grade" Like the builder grade cabinets and appliances in a new house, they perform the same and sometimes look much like their counterparts, I went to the Professional Hearth Store and SuperPro was $140 a length so I went down the road to lowes and bought the SuperVent for $60 a length, everything else in my house is "builder grade" so I felt that this chimney was good enough for me!

I bought the superpro from my local farm supply store. It was 69.99 for 36in section. Warrenty is 25 years on the superpro, i believe 10 or 15 years on the supervent. The superpro may have a higher grade stainless steel but i am not sure.

Look for the HT fellas. HT = High temp. If its got that moniker in its name, you are good to go.

well, that settles it. I'm waiting for a sale or something and I'll be buying some of this stuff. I was going to use a flex liner with insulation on it, but this just seems like it would be a much cleaner install. I have done tons of reading around here about flex liner installs, now I guess I have to look around for information on this.

i don't want to mess this thread up, since we are talking about going rates and possible differences in qualities, but while I have some attention here, let me ask:

Is this an acceptable liner solution to re-lining an old masonry chimney that has no previous liner? I'm assuming the clearances stated allow this liner to even touch the chimney's interior, even if the chimney's exterior is up against combustibles.

Can you actually use SuperPro as a chimney liner? I'm new here but I have not been able to find anything that says SuperPro or SuperVent can be used as a masonary chimney liner. Selkirk is also HeatFab and they have the Saf-T vent which is a liner but you need to assembly the insulation around the pipe. I would like to use the SuperPro but as a liner if possible.

GlacierBay12 said:
Can you actually use SuperPro as a chimney liner? I'm new here but I have not been able to find anything that says SuperPro or SuperVent can be used as a masonary chimney liner. Selkirk is also HeatFab and they have the Saf-T vent which is a liner but you need to assembly the insulation around the pipe. I would like to use the SuperPro but as a liner if possible.
I dunno, I assumed you could because of all the talk about having to have a chase around it whenever it's indoors. I guess I need to look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.