How to stuff a fire box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnDolz

Minister of Fire
Dec 29, 2015
Burlington, CT
Rookie question - I have heated with an Indoor Gasification boiler for several years but no clue when it comes to inserts. I am considering getting an insert that has a 2.6 cu ft firebox capacity and takes up to 22" logs. Firewood is "included" in the condo fee (this is for a weekend place in Vermont) and what they deliver is approximately 16" long. Wondering the best way to get a maximum load in given wood length? Are they pretty forgiving and as long as I can get the wood in there it will burn fine? Thanks

It's an insert in a condo. Why would you want to stuff it to the gills? I love stuffing all of my stoves to the gills and it works fine just as long as the wood is dry and you don't accidentally bump the ultra fragile baffle that rests on top of the tubes of most noncat stoves.

In a weekend place condo, throw a few chunks in and enjoy the fireshow.

It's an insert in a condo. Why would you want to stuff it to the gills? I love stuffing all of my stoves to the gills and it works fine just as long as the wood is dry and you don't accidentally bump the ultra fragile baffle that rests on top of the tubes of most noncat stoves.

In a weekend place condo, throw a few chunks in and enjoy the fireshow.
As mentioned rookie question. I get that I can throw some wood in the existing fireplace for a fireshow and burn a few extra gallons of oil. I know i will never ROI this thing but I do need to at least let myself believe that I am heating with wood on weekends.

Reactions: Highbeam