How to safely put chimney thru wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

googlealchemist

Dec 3, 2018
Bloomsburg
Our wood stove pipe has one of those black collar things that just goes straight thru the wall, there is an air gap around the pipe and the outer collar.

I can't tell if there is anything surrounding the outside of that pipe...fireproof insulation or whatever, but I am pretty sure this is all there is to this setup and I'm concerned about it catching the wall on fire!

What do I need to do in order to make this safe? As well as to squash the draft we are getting from this?

Thanks

Attachments

• How to safely put chimney thru wall
    stove collar.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 179
Our wood stove pipe has one of those black collar things that just goes straight thru the wall, there is an air gap around the pipe and the outer collar.

I can't tell if there is anything surrounding the outside of that pipe...fireproof insulation or whatever, but I am pretty sure this is all there is to this setup and I'm concerned about it catching the wall on fire!

What do I need to do in order to make this safe? As well as to squash the draft we are getting from this?

Thanks
The only way to know for sure is to open up the wall and see what that wall pass through is. It may be fine but I can't tell

Ok thanks ,but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. What is the proper setup for something like this?
The wall pass through would have a up tag if it is an approved unit. Post some pics also

Ok I'm trying to make sense of this thread https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/chimney-passing-a-chimney-through-the-wall.147754/

" In this case, a section of insulated, double wall chimney is used instead of the crock…and an airspace is used around it instead of the solid brick wall patch. This involves a 9” airspace, so the total rough framing would be 26” square"

Best I can tell is that the existing setup is a big risk over time. It's been in there for a decade plus already and I don't like the idea of things slowly drying out and charring getting ready for ignition behind the scenes at some point.

There is just the standard black single walled stove pipe going from the stove thru the wall into the outside silver double walled chimney pipe. The area that it actually passes through only has a 3 or maybe 4 inch air space circular between the pipe and the outside metal ring set in the wall.

So I need create another 5 or 6 inches of air space around that inside the wall?

I don't see any sort of tag but most of the pass through I can't really see.

I don't know why the images are sideways, but you can see due to the warped metal of the pass through and collar or whatever it's called, the light spots in the pic that's just wide open to where the outside connects to the pipe on the outside of the wall.

I was going to use this furnace cement to seal up the gaps?

Attachments

20181231_153715.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 90
    20181231_153807.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 89
    20181231_153819.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 84