how to put a TV and a wood stove on the same wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jslts

Aug 8, 2024
Vancouver Island
Another question before we finalize our floor plan.

Our living room is small and I'm trying to figure out the best way to put a TV and a wood stove (possibly Drolet Escape 1200 or TN20) on the same western wall.
I think it's better to put the stove straight instead of 45 degree angle to get more distance from the TV.
How far should be a TV from those stoves? 3 feet? 4 feet?

If I build some kind of a brick wall, or even heat shield next to the TV, can it be closer to the stove, like 2 feet?

It depends on the stove. Some are quite radiant from the sides and others not much. Got a picture of the location?

It depends on the stove. Some are quite radiant from the sides and others not much. Got a picture of the location?

Here's our floor plan. The stove and TV will be on the corner of the living room on the western wall.
I'm considering Drolet Nano, Escape 1200, or TN20.
It's a small house just over 1000 SF with supplementary baseboard heaters in the rooms.
I want to have enough heat from the stove but I don't want to be too hot to be sitting on the couch either.

how to put a TV and a wood stove on the same wall?

The side clearances will provide a clue. If the stove has shielded, convection sides then the clearance will be lower. In this case the Drolet has 18" side clearance and the side shielded TN20 has 12". The TV should be ok at 36" to the side of the True North, especially if it is close to or hung on the wall.

The drawing shows a corner install but that doesn't sound like the plan?
Corner install distance for the TN20 is 3" with double-walled stovepipe. The Drolet 1200 is 7" with double-walled stovepipe.

The drawing shows a corner install but that doesn't sound like the plan?
Corner install distance for the TN20 is 3" with double-walled stovepipe. The Drolet 1200 is 7" with double-walled stovepipe.
TN20 sounds more the right one for us. I like the fact that you can cook something on it.
The plan is not updated yet.
At first I planned on corner install but TN20 would stick out further making the distance between the TV and the stove closer than I thought. So I thought installing TN20 along the north wall would be better.
Is that correct?

At first I planned on corner install but TN20 would stick out further making the distance between the TV and the stove closer than I thought. So I thought installing TN20 along the north wall would be better.
Is that correct?
The corner location may be better depending on where on the north wall this is. The stove will be highly radiant in front and on top. Furniture should not be closer than 4 ft. Also, in the corner the fire will be more visible when relaxing on the couch. There will be days when the fire is more enjoyable than the TV.

Reactions: Jslts
I would do a corner install. Have you thought about the hearth? I think I’d want it flush with the floor and not raised…. Maybe.

I would do a corner install. Have you thought about the hearth? I think I’d want it flush with the floor and not raised…. Maybe.
I haven't thought about the hearth much and I just looked up on flush and raised hearth. That's a great thing to know before we do the flooring. Thank you. I like it flush, too as it's a small place.

The corner location may be better depending on where on the north wall this is. The stove will be highly radiant in front and on top. Furniture should not be closer than 4 ft. Also, in the corner the fire will be more visible when relaxing on the couch. There will be days when the fire is more enjoyable than the TV.
That's true. We'll enjoy watching the fire. Can I build a wall next to the stove to shield the heat going to the TV instead of putting the TV 4 feet away? Metal heat shields don't look nice.
Is my idea basically alcove installation?

Last edited:
I’d be more concerned worth the sofa. Wood looks fine. Wood insides looks nice but it’s a mess. Get a box on wheels or a bag.

Reactions: Jslts
Try to stack some wood on the table and then remove it. See what's left behind.

The box is fine. The nook in the pic will shed debris.
Just handling wood (walking with it) sheds stuff.
Hence.the suggestion of a box on wheels or a tote; tho moving it from the tote to a shelf is going to create the same mess.

The box is fine. The nook in the pic will shed debris.
Just handling wood (walking with it) sheds stuff.
Hence.the suggestion of a box on wheels or a tote; tho moving it from the tote to a shelf is going to create the same mess.
oh.... too bad. I was so keen on making a built-in shelves for firewood. A box with wheels makes sense! Thank you.

You can still do that..just ride the box in. Or have smaller boxes that you slide in.

In the end that minimizes debris. But a wood stove will always give some debris. Have a handheld vacuum nearby and just use it each time you reload to keep things orderly.
It's still worth it! Even with some mess.