How to prevent cut tarp from shredding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I want to reuse my huge somewhat worn pool cover. It is still pretty good but developed some tiny holes over the three years we used it.
It's 30' by 50'. I want to cut it and use it until I find a permanent solution. I assume the edges will shred after some time after being cut. Any tips on how to prevent it?

Good Quality Duct tape works pretty well for me. I put one piece so it folds over the cut edge and then one on either side.

Reactions: Dmitry
We use Tyvek house wrap tape, which lasts better than Duct tape
Good to -40::C to 104::C Moisture and UV resistant

Thank you, guys, that’s the advice I was looking for.

I use the heavy duty silver tarps, but even those eventually shred. Duct Tape seems to last long enough .

I've used 3M "Poly and Tarps" duct tape with success. I found it at Home Depot.

If you do a piece or two on both sides of the edge, poke a hole through all the layers with a razor, then thread a zip tie through to create a loop, it makes a decent tie-out point.

I get around 10 years on the silver ones.

They fell apart in 3-4 years here - at least the areas exposed to sun. (Very clear difference.)
Microplastic (mm-scale) everywhere. Pissed me off big time.

Ill do just about everything to not tarp. Even grabbed the bladders from IBC totes (usually free) and cut them up into 4ft by 4ft "shingles"

been doing the same thing with bladders. I cut the top and bottom off first use that for top covers in/on the totes. totes have odds and ends in them.