How to prep house for wood burning stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Beachamb21

Jan 3, 2018
Texas
i am very new to all of this. I have been reading on here a lot. I have an AC unit in a closet with 2 large air intakes against built into the wall. I am heating my house by wood burning stove only and cold air is just pouring in the living room from those air intake vents in the hallway. Is this normal? Should i cover them?

If the AC supply ductwork goes through a cold attic then cold air can sink out of the return ducts. It wouldn't hurt to cover them until springtime.

Fresh air intake to the stove or a slightly open window near the stove might help. Wood stove as well as fireplace sends a lot of air up the chimney and out of the house creating a vacuum. So new air to replace that has to come from somewhere. I would assume if you can feel it pouring in, those vents is where you fresh air it getting back into the house.

Fresh air intake to the stove or a slightly open window near the stove might help. Wood stove as well as fireplace sends a lot of air up the chimney and out of the house creating a vacuum. So new air to replace that has to come from somewhere. I would assume if you can feel it pouring in, those vents is where you fresh air it getting back into the house.
Normally the ac system intakes and supplies from inside the house envelope with no outside air connection, but if the joints were not sealed and there is poor insulation jacket then maybe it is trying to pull outside air. Worth a test.

Normally the ac system intakes and supplies from inside the house envelope with no outside air connection, but if the joints were not sealed and there is poor insulation jacket then maybe it is trying to pull outside air. Worth a test.

Yeah its suppose to be sealed, nothing is 100% though. Mine go through the attic a racoon got up there and did a good job of unsealing them.

dang rakins

Reactions: moresnow