How to load BioBricks and semi-seasoned cordwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Mcuan88

Mar 18, 2024
Connecticut
How should I load a cold stove for the top down method? I have an Osburn Inspire 2000 insert.

I've read different opinions of placing a row of bricks on the bottom and cordwood on top, but I'm thinking that the semi-seasoned wood should be on the bottom with a few bricks on top of them and kindling closer to the secondary tubes to get draft going faster.

Does anyone have any experience mixing BioBricks (or any other compressed sawdust bricks) with semi-seasoned cordwood?

A few fresh splits from my wood pile is reading ~25% MC and I plan to burn them with some BioBricks to bring the overall MC under 20%. Thanks for any insight!

Hmm 25% might be tough to burn.
I'd do what you said. 25% splits on the bottom resting on kindling sleepers to raise them off the floor and ash, so air can flow underneath.
Then bio bricks, then kindling.

The more air space between everything the better. Especially with wet wood.

You can try something like this but switch the bottom and middle rows. And put the bottom row on a couple sleepers for airflow underneath.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hmm 25% might be tough to burn.
I'd do what you said. 25% splits on the bottom resting on kindling sleepers to raise them off the floor and ash, so air can flow underneath.
Then bio bricks, then kindling.

The more air space between everything the better. Especially with wet wood.
I didn't think of kindling sleepers on the bottom, that's a good idea to try. Thanks!

Reactions: bigealta
Mixed hardwoods: cherry, maples, birch, beech, hickory, and oak. I can spot the oaks and don't burn those as I know it's not dry enough. Some of them range from 18-25%, still not ideal.

I tinkered with a few fires this week by mixing and matching semi-dry with BioBricks. I used 3 bricks and kindling to raise temp close to 500F with the other woods on bottom layer with some success. Some definitely needs to season longer, so I'll be buying a pallet of the bricks and hopefully next year I'll have more dry wood.

Reactions: bigealta
Mixed hardwoods: cherry, maples, birch, beech, hickory, and oak. I can spot the oaks and don't burn those as I know it's not dry enough. Some of them range from 18-25%, still not ideal.

I tinkered with a few fires this week by mixing and matching semi-dry with BioBricks. I used 3 bricks and kindling to raise temp close to 500F with the other woods on bottom layer with some success. Some definitely needs to season longer, so I'll be buying a pallet of the bricks and hopefully next year I'll have more dry wood.
You have a good plan. If you could try to get your hands on ash its one of the few woods that can be burnt a little bit wet. Inspect that flue regularly particularly the top.

Be cautious with the bio bricks, some stoves burn very hot with just them. The marginal seasoned wood might temper the hotness of them. Definitely monitor STT so as not to get too hot. Some manufacturers still frown on bio bricks for their dryness. Stay warm.