How to install a window gasket in a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AppalachianStan

Minister of Fire
Nov 4, 2011
Clover SC
Hi guys how do you install the windows gaskets on a wood stove. If there is a topic on here I missed it. How tight to tighten the screws, just snug em up. just don't the glass. Thank for you help.

Yes, do this carefully. The glass clips should just be screwed in enough to exert a gentle pressure between the gasket and glass. Watch the gasket to see when it makes contact and starts to compress. Maybe try a 1/4" turn of the screw more and test. If good, leave it. Go to far and it will crack.

Thanks BeGreen. you more thing the clips had flat gasket on it in between the glass and the clip. Is it need it?

Yes, that is a cushion. You can use the old ones again if they are in decent condition or make some new ones by cutting up a little flat gasket stock.

Do you know much about the self-sticking flat window gaskets? The guy at the store say to wrap the glass edge with it, but it is holding the clip from laying flat on the glass. I have instilled one side window so far and I can see a flash light's light in one spot?

Hi guys, how tight is to tight for the door gasket? I have to use two hands to shut the door. Will the gasket shrink any? I just laid the gasket in place.

AppalachianStan said:
Hi guys, how tight is to tight for the door gasket? I have to use two hands to shut the door. Will the gasket shrink any? I just laid the gasket in place.
The door latch will need to be adjusted since you put a new door gasket in. It should not take 2 hands to close. It should have a nice snug even pressure, but with 1 hand. You should never have to force it shut.
In time, you will have to adjust the latch back in to make it tight, But not for a long while.

Hogwildz said:
AppalachianStan said:
The door latch will need to be adjusted since you put a new door gasket in. It should not take 2 hands to close. It should have a nice snug even pressure, but with 1 hand. You should never have to force it shut.
In time, you will have to adjust the latch back in to make it tight, But not for a long while.
Thanks Man. I'll try that.

There is no way of adjusting the door latch. So now what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.