How to dismantle this baffle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trevor M

Jan 18, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Can someone please tell me how to dismantle this baffle. I want to clean my chimney straight through and not take the stack apart. It is a SUPER LE from PACIFIC ENERGY. I can't find the instructions anywhere and not even sure if they mention that part.

Thanks

How to dismantle this baffle?

Reactions: Kominar
From the most recent version manual page
Stove first

insert second
DO NOT OPERATE WITH BAFFLE ASSEMBLY OR INSULATION REMOVED.
Removal
Remove retaining pin at the back top of the firebox, just under the baffle. Lift baffle up and pull forward to disconnect from the supply tube. Tilt baffle sideways to drop down and remove from firebox. Inspect gasket between baffle and supply tube. If necessary, replace with gasket (prt#80000365) available from your Pacific Energy dealer. Re-install baffle assembly in reverse order. The two side pieces of insulation must be tight against the side rails.
100001133 10 SUPER-LE_090620-
Baffle Removal
Baffle Removal
DO NOT OPERATE WITH BAFFLE ASSEMBLY OR INSULATION REMOVED.
Removal
Remove retaining pin at the back top of the firebox, just under the baffle. Lift baffle up and pull forward to disconnect from the supply tube. Tilt baffle sideways to drop down and remove from firebox. Inspect gasket between baffle and supply tube. If necessary, replace with gasket part number 80000365, available from your Pacific Energy dealer. Re-install baffle assembly in reverse order. The two side pieces of insulation must be tight against the side rails.
100002687 SUPER INSERT LE 210619-28

Evan

Be sure to stuff a rag in the secondary air supply tube before cleaning so that the crud doesn't fall down into there.

Reactions: moresnow and buc74
And, if you have one, replace that gasket for the hole where Be Green told to stuff it ;) :)

The baffle will be down, easy peasey to move the bricks and git 'er done.

While we are on the topic.. my stack has two 45* elbows that will require a flex rod about 10' long. What a PIA trying to find them. I can find the smaller ones for pellet stoves but not one that will fit my 6" brush. I have the yellow fiberglass rods from the old stove application that says they will flex 90* Yeah Right!! They wont flex 20* before snapping. Any suggestions?

I bought my fiberglass flex rods at lowes home improvement store, also if you have a metal chimney make sure you use a poly brush and not a metal one

Last edited:
I do a bit of a modification on the instructions. Once the pin is out, I lift up the rear of the baffle while pulling forward. That gets it over the tube which sticks up about an inch. Then, slide it to one side until the other side is no longer on the rail. Lower that side until it is at about a 20-30º angle so that you can now lower the other side below the rail. And pull it out.

How much wood have you put through the stove so far?

Thanks Dix.. I don't have one. But will be ordering a few now that I know ;)

Get yourself an extra blanket baffle, or 2, while you are at it. They are actually side rail baffles.

Almost forgot.... be prepared, that baffle is going to be way, way heavier than you think. Ask me how I know this ;em ;)

We've gone threw about 2 faces of pine so far. I know pine aint the best but it is what it is. Want to clean her good now before switching over to Hardwood as the really cold weather is coming in now.

Pine, is fine, trust me. Do a search, you'll be surprised. I burn it, never a problem. It just has to be seasoned, like all the others. I burn it spring & fall, sometimes mixing w/ hardwoods :)

We've gone threw about 2 faces of pine so far. I know pine aint the best but it is what it is. Want to clean her good now before switching over to Hardwood as the really cold weather is coming in now.
It looked pretty clean. If the pine was well seasoned I wouldn't expect much buildup from less than a cord.

Pine, is fine, trust me. Do a search, you'll be surprised. I burn it, never a problem. It just has to be seasoned, like all the others. I burn it spring & fall, sometimes mixing w/ hardwoods :)
Good to know! I was always planning on burning pine in the fall and then expecting to have to clean the chimney at least once during the winter. We only have 1000sqr to heat so we start a hot fire in the morning and let it burn out which is fine for the entire day and then another fire in the evening. Good or bad with regards to soot build up I'm not sure. But like I said I fully expected to be cleaning the pipe. This stove was installed in the summer and Im not familiar with the Baffle type.. but sure am learning tonight.. Thanks to everyone! ;)

It looked pretty clean. If the pine was well seasoned I wouldn't expect much buildup from less than a cord.
It was seasoned for the summer only.. but in the sun and its very light and seems very dry. I suspect any build up is from our practice of starting a fire and letting it die. We cant keep it going all day.. waste of wood and WAY to hot. Cleaning the chimney once or even twice a winter is not the end of the world. :)
We'll soon see how much there is.

I have the same brand but mine came in (5) 3ft sections, might be easier bending the 3ft'ers up through the stove then a single 5 ft length
Well my trip to Lowes was a waste of time.. They are not as advertised. They are the same Yellow Fiberglass rods that I already own.

I don't know why it is so impossible to find something like this in Canada. https://flexichimneyrods.com/ other than the fact that our country's leader is owned by China and EVERTHING sold here has to come from there.