How to check for pipe leaks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
My stove is set up such that the rear exit goes straight into a T connector with a cleanout at the bottom and up into a single wall liner.

What I'd like to do is check for leaks at the stove/T connection. It was sealed, but due to the hearth install and all the jiggling necessary to get it in there, I'd like to confirm it's ok.

heffergm said:
My stove is set up such that the rear exit goes straight into a T connector with a cleanout at the bottom and up into a single wall liner.

What I'd like to do is check for leaks at the stove/T connection. It was sealed, but due to the hearth install and all the jiggling necessary to get it in there, I'd like to confirm it's ok.

Can you get to it? Does your stove have a problem with draft? Just what sort of leakage problem are you concerned about? If the stove is drawing well, then any leakage at any of the piping joints will draw air into the flue. If this leakage is really excessive, then it will tend to cool the flue gases, which is undesireable. There should never be leakage of flue gases out into the living space with a system that draws well. If you can access the spot you're concerned about when you have a fire going in your stove, you could reach a lit stick of incense in there and watch where the smoke goes. Rick

Draft is good, if a bit weak when temps are
down. I'm mainly concerned with gasses leaking
into the living space, but I get your point... As long as it's drawing, nothing should come back
that way.

I do get smoke when top loading, which I suspect is at least partly due to a pressure differential. I'll try the smoke test.

The cap at the bottom of my cleanout "T" was leaking - I could tell by lighting a match near it and watching the flame get sucked in. I sealed it with High Temp HVAC tape. It probably made no difference, but I felt better.

Status
Not open for further replies.