How to Buy Fan Sleeve Bearings?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mar 1, 2012
Central CT
Howdy! I’m back to annoy.

So, we’ve got a Travis Rainier here, the bearings have seen better days.
I’ve not cracked one of them to see what’s inside, has anybody broken
into one of these to if a “normal” doughnut bearing resides inside?

I ask because this year, in accordance with BeGreen’s wisdom, I’m going
to drill oiling holes to lube them. Last year, I soaked them in a bath of
motor oil and 3-in-One, that helped the noise tremendously, but it’s
time to take things to the next step.

Me, it would dumb to dump a fan on account of bad bearings alone,
but we all know why.

Cheers and Thanks.

Are these sealed bearings in the fan unit?

Last edited:
Are these sealed bearings in the fan unit?

Yep.

I realize each company has their own specialized
Sealed Sleeve Bearings to fit THEIR fans.

BUT, if one cracks ‘em open, are the doughnut
bearings inside? Dunno ...

Thanks!

First thing to check is whether they are sleeve bearing with an oil felt surrounding them or encased ball bearings. If the latter, then there should be replacement bearings available. Ball bearing make and size are often identified on the outer seal.

Reactions: Otis B Driftwood
BeGreen: Thank you. I’ d have to destroy one to find out.

YiKES.

BeGreen: Thank you. I’ d have to destroy one to find out.

YiKES.
If you have to destroy it the likelihood is that it's ball bearing. The felt that surrounds a bronze sleeve bearing is usually visible in a cavity in the motor's end frames, surrounding the sleeve bearing.

Last edited:
Before tearing into the motor, and possibly destroying it. Research the cost and availability of replacing it. The bearing should be replaceable, but the manufacturing process may make it not possible. You may need special tools and understanding how to.

Before tearing into the motor, and possibly destroying it. Research the cost and availability of replacing it. The bearing should be replaceable, but the manufacturing process may make it not possible. You may need special tools and understanding how to.

Hi Tom, I have neither. Noise is the culprit and lubing
is now an annual routine. I’m one of those tinkerers.

I've never had luck bringing an old wore out bearing back to life for any length of time by lubing it. Usually by the time folks consider doing it, they are already to far gone. Compare the cost of a new plug and play fan. But if your dead set on trying, just start taking stuff apart and see what you're dealing with 1st.

I'm not saying it is this, but it maybe almost unrepairable. Consumer products are built to the cheapest price point. The bearings on these fans are a common complaint here. If you need this to work for the remainder of the season, I would just do what you have been doing, oil it. And then acquire a new replacement. Only then tinker with it. If your lucky you'll have a spare.