How to avoid this rain cap creosote buildup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Propane_Poor

Oct 20, 2018
Ohio
I had to put my rain cap in a vice, put some vice grips on it, then hit it with a hammer to get it loose. Then I took a wire wheel to clean everything off down to bare metal.

Is there anything I can put on the connection to avoid this buildup, or alleviate the sticking? I was wondering about high temp grease or graphite powder, perhaps
How to avoid this rain cap creosote buildup?How to avoid this rain cap creosote buildup?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to put my rain cap in a vice, put some vice grips on it, then hit it with a hammer to get it loose. Then I took a wire wheel to clean everything off down to bare metal.

Is there anything I can put on the connection to avoid this buildup, or alleviate the sticking? I was wondering about high temp grease or graphite powder, perhapsView attachment 247098View attachment 247099

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
How dry is your wood?

Reactions: RGrant
I understand your question and have had the same problem. First, don’t tighten it so hard. Leave it looser. Like a smidge from bottomed our. You don’t want it to fly off! Then, I’ve put on grease one year which did okay but the high temp anti seize worked better. Still, not too tight is the most important.

Worst case, you may be able to remove the three little hex head screws and take the cap apart which just leaves the bottom plate on the roof. On my Simpson pipe this is how you remove and throw away the optional filter screen.

Is there anything I can put on the connection to avoid this buildup, or alleviate the sticking? I was wondering about high temp grease or graphite powder, perhapsView attachment 247098View attachment 247099

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
How do you brush the pipe - bottom up or top down.
Do you need to take the cap off?
I'm botyom up and once on have never had the cap off.

Burn hotter chances are your wood is to wet also. But yeah some high temp anti seize will help untill you get it operating better.

My question to, when was it off last?
Do you have a screen?

I take mine off every year, to do a top down cleaning. What I do is take the top section off. When on the ground, I put the pipe between my legs to hold it, and grab th cap with two hands and give it a quick turn. Use gloves, that cap is razor sharp. I don't have a screen, so it's black but not gooey, I clean the mating surface chemical cleaner. Don't make it to tight.

When burning optimally the “creosote” buildup will be dusty and powdery. Not anything you should be grinding or pounding on. Shouldn’t be an issue ideally. You will always have some, most on here I think would agree a small coffee can (2-3 cups) a season is normal after a cleaning.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink