How tight does your stove door close?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PA. Woodsman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 26, 2007
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
After finally replacing the gasket on my old Dovre Aurora and having it adjusted as loose as it can be the door closes but it is pretty tight, tighter than I would like it to be but there's nothing that I can do about it now, just have to wait until it compresses a bit. I broke it in today with a small fire and then full out so it should be good, but it just got me to wondering how tight or loose does your stove door latch? And I know that it gets tighter as the stove is hot as things expand, but even cold it is really snug, but it'll give I'm sure.

What about yours?

Mine is tight and doesn’t seem to change when hot. But it is only a month old.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
That's interesting. I would tend to think the heat would swell things up and tighten them but apparently not on yours.

Maybe the door heats up too. It’s especially noticeable on my nc30.

Thanks for the replies. I was concerned about added pressure on the latch until this gasket compresses a bit, but I realized if I push on the door by the latch as I'm closing it I can force the door closed a little more on that side and it seems to close easier on the latch. I'm sure it will be okay once it compresses down but I want to take stress off of it if I can.