How much wood do you go through in a day?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 8, 2007
NY
Hey Guys,
For those of us that use the stove 24/7, how many splits and rounds do you go through in one day, leaving enough good coals to start the morning fire, plus a good warm temp. Now I know that when it is really cold you might go through a little more, I am just looking for an average day in winter months. I go through about 7 splits and 3 rounds a day, using mainly hardwoods. This held true with my Avalon and now my Pacific Energy Summit. If you want you can also say what size of splits/rounds you are using. Well we are getting 50's soon, so my stove will get a little breather..

If it is cold, below 20 degrees, I coukd go through probably 12+ splits with the widest at 10" and 5 to 6 rounds 6" to 8" at night. Thats heating 2400 square feet victorian with 11 rooms and 10ft ceilings. In 30 to 40 degree weather, probably 6 splits from 6" to 8"
and 4 rounds around 6" to 8". Probably more wood than we should burn, but the whole house stays the same temp and it helps
keep the basement warm. A woodstove would do us no good in this home.

laynes69 said:
A woodstove would do us no good in this home.

Is this a typo...thought we were talking about wood......??

Probably 8-12 ea 16" long by 3"-4" wide splits per day when burning 24/7 mostly oak. But like you said, depends on the weather. I have found that strong easterly winds suck most of the heat from my home and I end up using more wood on those days. For the year so far I've gone through 2.9 full cords of oak burning 24/7 since mid Oct. Now it's just an occasional fire to take the chill off in the evenings.

Hey Cast,
Nice to see someone digging up some older threads. I've missed quite a few.

Todd said:
Probably 8-12 ea 16" long by 3"-4" wide splits per day when burning 24/7. But like you said, depends on the weather. I have found that strong easterly winds suck most of the heat from my home and I end up using more wood on those days. For the year so far I've gone through 2.9 full cords of oak burning 24/7 since mid Oct. Now it's just an occasional fire to take the chill off in the evenings.

Hey Cast,

Todd,

what older thread...the ones on the no heat and draft problems?

castiron said:
Todd said:
Probably 8-12 ea 16" long by 3"-4" wide splits per day when burning 24/7. But like you said, depends on the weather. I have found that strong easterly winds suck most of the heat from my home and I end up using more wood on those days. For the year so far I've gone through 2.9 full cords of oak burning 24/7 since mid Oct. Now it's just an occasional fire to take the chill off in the evenings.

Hey Cast,

Todd,

what older thread...the ones on the no heat and draft problems?

Yep, It would be nice to hear back from some of these people and see how things worked out.

I burn a large Lopi insert with a 3+ CF firebox in a leaky old rambler. To keep the stove up in the 4-600 range all day consumes almost two rubbermaid tubs of doug fir splits on end. Each tub holds about 7 large splits which I break down into smaller pieces about 4 inches across. The wood isn't perfectly dry so some of that wood is wasted boiling water though the moisture meter shows the large majority of splits right at 20%. I don't stoke for the night so I must relight every morning and start over.

This seems to equate to 4-5 cords per year. Single pane aluminum windows and minimal insulation (zero underneath) account for my high heat loss.

There are so many variables to factor in. Windy days require more heat to make up for drafts I never get the same amount of wood per carrier mixed maple birch and oak different sizes. The colder it gets the hotter I run the stove. Wood get shared between two stoves Even wood piles get added to I have no constant to judge from but the thermometer in the kitchen that tells me my Zone confort level. Some days I probably burn 100 lbs Burned close to 5 cords but even that is a guess. I rotate stock all the time

5 cords Elk, nice, that's a lot of wood! I am probably around 2 cords, but this is just for my Florida room and I don't use my other stove, Quad 5100 to heat my entire house. This fall/winter I might try using both the Summit and Quad to do heat most of my home, this should take me to 4 or 5 cords easy. Man, I have a lot of chopping to do this year, I am not going to spend 75 dollars a face cord again! There is a guy that sells a load of 10-16 foot logs for about 500-600 dollars this would get me about 25 face cords of wood, pretty sweet deal around here.

JFK,

Where in NY are ya?

We have a wood furnace thats tied into our ductwork. A single woodstove would not heat the home. We have used around 6 cords this year.

wxman said:
JFK,

Where in NY are ya?
Near Buffalo now
I used to live in Ridge, your neck of the woods, 10 years ago. I worked for the Conservation Department as a wildlife technician, spent plenty of time in and around Riverhead doing wildlife surveys

Hey, your in my neck of the woods.

JFK said:
wxman said:
JFK,

Where in NY are ya?
Near Buffalo now
I used to live in Ridge, your neck of the woods, 10 years ago. I worked for the Conservation Department as a wildlife technician, spent plenty of time in and around Riverhead doing wildlife surveys

Never counted the splits, but I have an HF two wheeled log cart that holds a pile of splits roughly 2'wide X 3' high, 18-26" long - I'd guess about 100-150 lbs of wood. When I'm burning hard, 24/7, a cart will last me a bit less than a day and a half.

This is heating about 2K SF with an old smoke dragon.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.