How Much Wood Did U All Burn This Season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

deborita3

Burning Hunk
Oct 25, 2018
New York
So, as I first time wood burner this season, I was curious as to how much wood everyone burned this season. More this season? Less? Do you burn 24/7 or just during the day and at night but not when you're sleeping which is what my husband and I did this yr since we didn't have enough wood to burn 24/7. We are already preparing for next winter so we can burn 24/7. We burned about 3 cords this season.

about 4 cords

Still burning the ashford but stopped the F600 about a month ago, should be about 12 cords when done.

Reactions: Ashful
About 3 cords. We went through a lot of that in February.

Last edited:
Reactions: deborita3
More this season? Less?
About the same as previous years.
Do you burn 24/7 or just during the day and at night but not when you're sleeping
24/7, stove is going all winter day and night. Early and late in the season it is usually intermittent.

About 5 cord all together, September to now (first part of May). We could do more in May and into June, but probably not use much doing so. It seems what we use follows a nice bell curve with a peak some time in January, and tapering off to almost nothing in Sept and May.

Reactions: deborita3
Just measured the hole in my wood pile and it's more like 10 cords, not 12.

Reactions: Ashful
Well there is a big hole in the big pile and a couple of stacks that are about 1/2 height and 1 30 gallon trash can of ash. Guestimate 2 cords. Now stove didn't get fired up till the end of Nov. ( new install) . In years past a full season would be about 4 cords That might shrink a bit in the new to me place it has better insulation and such.

Cut back a lot this year. About 1 1/2 cords, half of the previous year. I'm a weekender, plus a few full time weeks. A milder winter, and better control of the reloads saved a lot of wood. My biggest issue is the overnights. We end up overheating the house, and then cracking the windows. This year we did the right size reload at bed time, then set the thermostat at 65. Most nights the heat doesn't come on by the morning.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
This pile is getting ready to fill the hole in the shed
20190503_133819web.jpg

Still burning here, not 24/7 at the moment. About 5.5 cords for the whole season, pretty usual for us.

3 cords + pallet of NIEL's + pallet of "Bear Bricks" = approx. 5 cords which is normal for us.
Burning 24/7 & morning/evening fire through the shoulder season & into the summer, excepting days that get up into the 80'sF or higher.

3 full cords, started burning in October ended the middle of April, about an average year for us.

About 3. Cleaned out my stashes of 3+ YO seasoned (getting ready to reload them ;) ).

A mild winter, but when it got cold, it got cold!! That's when I burned through wood. Otherwise, I would have used 2.

3 cords hardwood plus a little pine/hemlock

We burned 3 cords or so this year which was more than last season; I think the main reason for this is that we started burning way into earlier than I expected. We burn as primary heat source heating 1500 sq ft in southern nh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3.5 cords softwood burning 24/7 through the heart of winter and a fire day in the shoulder season.
I'm curious to see what next winter brings as this year the shed is full of birch and maple, and only a little fir.