Q&A how much wood decomposition from old firewood pile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

how much wood decomposition from old fir I am a new homeowner, and inherited an old firewood pile (about a cord) under a grove of trees. Some of the firewood is on the ground amongst decaying leaves. Much of the firewood is decomposing in the following manner: barkless, with light coating of sawdust; holes throughout; and mushroom growth. In cases where the firewood continues to have bark, the bark is very brittle, and the area between the bark and the wood is moist. Is there a point in the decomposition of wood in which it becomes too harmful to burn in a fireplace? Within an old firewood pile, what criteria should I use to select good wood from bad wood? I can e-mail digital photos if it is useful to answer my question.

Answer:

The best way to tell might be by the weight. When it gets punky or soft, you have lost a lot of the fuel value. Sounds like it is well on the way!

Another concern is that wood which is TOO dry can have some burning problems. These can sometimes be solved by mixing it with wood that is less seasoned.

As long as it is hard and heavy, and the weight is not just rain water, you should be alright. The heating value of wood is in BTU's per pound, which is why weight is the best determination. --

Status
Not open for further replies.