How Much Will Fit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

emsflyer84

Sep 12, 2011
Central NH
Hey all, in the process of scheduling a woodshed build in my yard to get the wood away from my house. Structure will be 12x6x6 (WxHxD). Builder claims 2-3 cord. Seems right to me but maybe someone who has built one knows better. Just want to make sure I end up with enough space. Photo is another one he build, will be similar. Thanks!

[Hearth.com] How Much Will Fit?

3.3 cord

3.375 cord :)

But that is without space between the stacks.

I think it's best to consider what length splits you want.
16"?
Then you'd get exactly 4 stacks in a 6 ft depth, if you have 2" between the stacks.

A cord is 8 ft x 4 ft x 4 ft = 128 cubic ft
I.e. three 8x4 stacks of 16" splits

Besides your desired piece length and air gaps, to be even more accurate it's good to consider what the actual internal dimensions are.

Dimensions the builder provided are probably overall exterior, but if you subtract the framing thickness it will reduce the interior volume slightly. And with respect to the height, is it for the low wall or high wall? Although in pretty much any scenario those dimensions will yield at least a 2-3 cord structure as the builder stated.

Reactions: stoveliker
How much do you burn in a years time?
Ideally if you can get your annual usage X3 into a shed, you're all set.

Builder claims 2-3 cord. Seems right to me but maybe someone who has built one knows better. Just want to make sure I end up with enough space. Photo is another one he build, will be similar. Thanks!
If that is generally what he is building, it looks pretty straight forward. Why don't you build it yourself? You can see everything right in the pic and then you can make it a little bigger if you want to be sure that you've got enough space. It's better to have more room for wood than to wish you had built more.

It’ll never dry in a setup like that. At least not the middle. Stack in single or double rows

Reactions: bigealta
My 5 stacks with 3-4" space in between dry perfectly to 14-17% in three years for sopping wet oak.

Similar shed, bigger (8+ cords total), 5 stacks of 6 ft wide each in each of the three bays

Last edited:
3.375 cord :)

But that is without space between the stacks.

I think it's best to consider what length splits you want.
16"?
Then you'd get exactly 4 stacks in a 6 ft depth, if you have 2" between the stacks.

A cord is 8 ft x 4 ft x 4 ft = 128 cubic ft
I.e. three 8x4 stacks of 16" splits
I think that air space is important stacking it that way. And as shown here that 2 inch air spcace makes a difference in figuring how much wood it can hold. Looks like just 3 cord stacked 6’ high with air spaces. Making it 12x8x6 would give you another 3/4 cord with airspace and should take no longer to build, just a more in materials.

Reactions: stoveliker
Don't know where the 6' tall is measured or how tall you are but I do not like banging my head or ducking so designing from scratch that would be a factor.

Nice Japanese style design. Keep in mind there is no 45º bracing which will over time possibly make the structure begin to lean left or right. To cure that slats in the back should be at a 45º rather than horizontal. You could also employ that in the side slats.

Reactions: bigealta