how much smoke shelf to remove is considered too much?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaychino415

Jan 31, 2013
san bruno, ca
my chimney has oval clay flue and exterior chimney. To get a 6" ss liner insulated through the damper area. I know I have to remove damper. What about the smoke shelf? Can I remove parts of it?

Possibly a little. What would be the clearance with just the damper removed?

I think you would be ok to take out a brick or two to make the 6" clearance for the liner.

[Hearth.com] how much smoke shelf to remove is considered too much? Most of the time you don't need to do that. Angle the liner at the smoke shelf and use a stainless fixed elbow coming off the top of the stove.

Mine is that same way.

Reactions: jaychino415
quote="BrotherBart, post: 1560604, member: 6"]View attachment 116365 Most of the time you don't need to do that. Angle the liner at the smoke shelf and use a stainless fixed elbow coming off the top of the stove.

Mine is that same way.[/quote]
Thanks BrotherBart for sharing your pic. Are the elbows a specialty item. I never seen a connection like that.

View attachment 116365 Most of the time you don't need to do that. Angle the liner at the smoke shelf and use a stainless fixed elbow coming off the top of the stove.

Mine is that same way.

I need to get a similar elbow to bring my insert out about 2 or 3 inches to put the surround on. I don't want to grind out the metal frame damper. What angle adapter is that? 15 degrees? Do you know if that adapter would give me the 2-3 inches I need to pull the insert out?

Been a long time and I don't remember which it is. 15 or 30 degree. Most liner dealers have the elbows. As to the insert surround, it should be what you need to move the stove forward to mount it. If you have enough headroom in the fireplace to work with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.