How much pipe before roof bracing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MtSiBK

Jan 4, 2021
North Bend
I have just a straight shot up and out with 2 3ft class a and 6.5ft double wall. If I open the loading door to quickly I get some spillage but it’s controllable if I’m patient. If I added a 2ft piece do I need a brace? I know I’m running at the bare minimum length for my stove.

How much pipe before roof bracing?

5’ above the roof line is where you need your first brace. Looks like you can add some without one. Lucky!

Reactions: MtSiBK
Looks a bit smoky in the picture. So 12.5' of vertical rise? Is that correct? That's a bit shy for the Sirocco 30. I'd add 4 ft. with a brace at the 5' level above the roof.

It’s a Bk scirocco 30. I know barely at the minimum. I just had a new roof put on and really not into new holes. I was just more or less curious. We are on year 2 and it works well as is but everything always has room for improvement.

It's 2.5' below the recommended minimum. The added height should improve stove performance, especially in shoulder season weather.

I had just loaded it up. 90% of the time it’s a very thin steam or nothing.

You can simply screw on lengths of chimney up to that 5’ trigger point for an improvement. No braces needed. I hate roof penetrations too! Plus I don’t like the looks of the roof braces. You might be able to put on 2.5’ and meet the spec.

At your elevation the manual has a table that might even recommend a touch more height due to thinner air.

Any screen in that cap? Spillage is the first sign of it being plugged.