How much overhang on top cover?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I want to top cover my piles with 6 mil plastic sheets from HD. How much overhang would you recommend? It's half day sun area in CT. not a lot of wind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Microduck17
I want to top cover my piles with 6 mil plastic sheets from HD. How much overhang would you recommend? It's half day sun area in CT. not a lot of wind.

I used the same material and wound up having approximately 6 inches of overhang on either side. The ends of some of the splits will obviously still get wet when it rains but it does seem to be working quite well to keep the majority of the wood nice and dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: saewoody
I put pallets on top of my piles and then cover the top of the pallets allowing air flow under the top cover. They usually overhang 6 inches. Windblown rain gets the ends of the logs wet on occasion but they dry off quickly. I have about two cords in my open front wood shed that I hang a tarp down over the exposed front in the winter to keep snow from blowing in. The tarp hangs from the top and I screw some boards on the sides to keep it from flapping. I use that supply later in the winter when the snow pack gets deep as snow on wood can really cut into the btus.

Good idea with pallets. My top wood gets wet and degrading from moisture accumulated there. I’m going to try pallets and do like feet overhang.

A double row is 32” on top and the plastic comes in a 20’ wide roll. I cut it in half the long way, fold it over so it’s double thick, and that gets me a 5’ wide sheet. That means in a perfect world, 14” of overhang.

I use masons twine back and forth over the top stapled to the wood to hold down the plastic.

I’ve done it this way for the last 12 years and finally built a woodshed this year. The black 6 mil poly would make it 4 years. Two layers are good. The wood gets wet on the sides, not just a little wet. I also acquired some sheet metal roofing and that overhang keeps the wood much drier.

Attachments

• How much overhang on top cover?
    835587B3-C3D1-43EB-A626-C20D5910077B.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 222
I do the same thing. I’ve found the plastic works quite well. I like it much better than tarps.

I wish I had the same good luck with HD 6 MIL plastic. Even in my shady area the sun disintigrates it after a couple years.
The more expensive heavy Brown tarps from TarpsDirect last for years and years.

A double row is 32” on top and the plastic comes in a 20’ wide roll. I cut it in half the long way, fold it over so it’s double thick, and that gets me a 5’ wide sheet. That means in a perfect world, 14” of overhang.

I use masons twine back and forth over the top stapled to the wood to hold down the plastic.

I’ve done it this way for the last 12 years and finally built a woodshed this year. The black 6 mil poly would make it 4 years. Two layers are good. The wood gets wet on the sides, not just a little wet. I also acquired some sheet metal roofing and that overhang keeps the wood much drier.
Great place to dry wood. Mine is cleared space in woods. Lot of damn fungi this year

Reactions: Highbeam
Great place to dry wood. Mine is cleared space in woods. Lot of damn fungi this year

Ya not sure why but despite how reasonably dry it was this year, I have mushrooms of all kinds growing all over my lawn right now. It's been a while since I mowed & might not now till next year, but I haven't seen shrooms like this before.

I want to explore idea with covering wood with pallets and some kind of material on top to create overhanging. Going to start another thread.

This is my set up. I’m no expert.

I’m surrounded by woods. Not a lot of wide open areas for drying.

How much overhang on top cover?

I can get a 6’ x 100’ roll of 6mil from Amazon for $30 shipped.
I double wide stack. So the 6’ works well.

I can get a 6’ x 100’ roll of 6mil from Amazon for $30 shipped.
I double wide stack. So the 6’ works well.
Where did you find 6' wide. All I can find there is 5', 10', 20'. My stacks 5' or so , so it comes short.

I’m using roofing tar paper cut down the middle with two layers of it on top of my stacks with uglies on top holding it down and it drapes over the ends to cover all the stack lengthwise. It’s been working well all spring and summer.