How much heat is recovered? Interior vs exterior chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Indianawood

Nov 28, 2019
Northern Indiana
I am installing a wood stove in my pole building. I can either go straight out the wall or go up about 12feet and then out the wall. How much more heat will i get by keeping the chimney inside?

From my experience with 18ft interior pipe. Lots of heat generated by single wall. Now that Im using double wall it barely feels hot.

Ok. Is it worth it? Right now I have it straight out through the old window opening so i don't have to cut a hole the new pole building steel. If i run up 10 to 12 feet i would have to cut a hole in side wall
How much more heat would i get off the single wall pipe inside?

Ok. Is it worth it? Right now I have it straight out through the old window opening so i don't have to cut a hole the new pole building steel. If i run up 10 to 12 feet i would have to cut a hole in side wall
How much more heat would i get off the single wall pipe inside?
What stove is this for?

And what is the building used for?

With my stove running hot the double wall pipe reads 180-225 degrees. I imagine single wall pipe adds quite a bit of heat. Still 12 feet of pipe at 200 degrees has to account for a good bit of heat.

Reactions: Indianawood
And what is the building used for?
I have 2 options at this point. I have a blaze ktj 302 old non catalyst stove and a a blaze king ultra
Ktj 1102. Its 32 x 56. R6 walls r8 ceilings. Im not sure what one would work best. I'll heat it about 15ish times a year. It's just a toy/ storage/ workshop barn.

I have 2 options at this point. I have a blaze ktj 302 old non catalyst stove and a a blaze king ultra
Ktj 1102. Its 32 x 56. R6 walls r8 ceilings. Im not sure what one would work best. I'll heat it about 15ish times a year. It's just a toy/ storage/ workshop barn.
For an older stove you will have much more heat wasted up the stack so reclaiming some would be fine. With a modern stove you wouldn't want to.

If this is in the us be aware woodstoves are not allowed in garages by code

Reactions: Indianawood