How many days did your gasifier installation take?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GS7

Dec 14, 2012
Connecticut
With 1000 gal storage, chimney direct vent, and forced hot air oil back up, how many days should it take for an experienced installer to get everything set up with a new gasifier?

Well, it took my plumber 2 days by himself to plumb the primary loop, connect the WG and oil burner and do all the wiring.
BUT, I spent several weeks on and off doing a lot of work.
I gutted the garage and insulated with Roxul and sheetrocked with 5/8" firerated.
I set the WG in its place on a concrete pier.
I ran the pex lines from the WG in the garage through the basement to where the primary loop would be mounted.
I installed the flue pipe.
I ran all the electrical wires and low voltage wires.
I insulated all the piping.

If everything is in place? That depends on your situation of course. Just the boiler? Or boiler and storage? Boiler and storage and water heater? Heat exchangers involved. Etc. Etc. Need more information man.

If everything is in place? That depends on your situation of course. Just the boiler? Or boiler and storage? Boiler and storage and water heater? Heat exchangers involved. Etc. Etc. Need more information man.

Everything? Total time? Boiler with about 1000 gal of storage, heat exchanger for forced air ducts, the whole set up.

Loaded question. In one sense the installation was the easy part, I did it myself with the Tarm, and it took me a long time over the summer, working on it off and on. In another sense the install was the hard part. I made many and some costly mistakes in not properly sizing the plumbing, the circulator, not understanding hot water hydronics, heat load, boiler output, pump head, pump curves, water chemistry, etc. While this is not rocket science, it is not intuitive, at least for me. Do you homework, plan very well up front, and do it right the first time.

Reactions: heaterman
Took me months. I had to build a shed, gather clean and modify propane tanks. Dig trenches for underground lines, order parts. 10 trips to the plumbing supply house, install rads and plumbing in the house. Install sidearm to water heater. All while working a full time job and raising 3 kids. You get the idea. probably saved $5,000 in labor though.

I'm not sure I'm done yet.........

Of course, I'm not a professional. I'm an engineer, which is much worse. It means that long before the last parts are done I've come up with a better way of doing the first parts, so I'm tearing it apart to make improvements. My lovely wife puts up with a lot.

Reactions: Coal Reaper
My install was measured in months, not days, sadly. I fooled myself into thinking I could have it done in a "few weekends" initially but that proved to be pure fantasy. That being said, I enjoyed nearly every minute of it.

Reactions: ewdudley
The first time, months, if I had to do it again, it could be done in days I think.

I didn't have to make a lot of mods to me system but I did have to make a long run of pipe. Couple that with a few mistakes, leaks and learning and it took a long time.

K

I had my first fire in a few days, but I was not really finished. I worked off and on to get things situated for about a month. I am still working on it because I am adding more storage and features.

Status
Not open for further replies.