How long does wood last before it rots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all I don't burn a whole lot of wood a year a cord maybe cord and a half. I was just give probably 7 cord of dead ash and green sliver maple. I plan to split and stack soon but how long can I expect it to last in a stack top covered.

A very long time as long as it's kept dry and insect-free. Look at the wood in your house. Outdoor stacked in a shed works well. Stacked and top covered can work if it is kept elevated off the ground and the top cover doesn't have depressions where water can pool and leak.

Reactions: D8Chumley
UnderCover (prefer a shed) will last forever as long as it is kept dry
I have Cherry that was cut by my Grate Grandfather in the loft above my cabinet shop
Some cut and split the rest in 16 in wide boards

Depends a lot on conditions. Whether things get kind of moldy in those stacks. Whether the wood starts getting inviting to bugs. As someone said above, it can't be on the ground.

I keep my eye on anything older than three years. And there are pieces that have to be burned with a year, as they arrived here kind of funky.

The ash might hold up better than the maple. When I've had ash for three years, it's all still in perfect condition. Sugar maple and silver maple are not great keepers, in my experience.

UnderCover (prefer a shed) will last forever as long as it is kept dry
I have Cherry that was cut by my Grate Grandfather in the loft above my cabinet shop
Some cut and split the rest in 16 in wide boards

Cherry seems to go forever if kept dry.

I've got 5 year old split wood covered and off the ground.
Its still in great shape but i do notice some bugs have bored into some of the stack ends and chewed out some sawdust.

I have some oak going on 6 years that’s been in a top covered building. No sides. Looks great. Burning it next year. Thought I was gonna get to it this year but winter never came, despite all the hype this was gonna be the worst winter in years. I’m now 4 years ahead it looks like.

I just split rounds that I have had for years yesterday, some of the Walnut I split was getting pretty dry and not so good but I'll use it, some Black Locust rounds still had moisture in them and they are several years old but then again Black Locust seems to last forever!

And funny how certain woods will get those fungus "mushrooms" growing on them while others don't?

From my experience with the woods I have. All of my wood is top covered:

I have 2 cords of hickory that's still drying, cut and stacked by May 2019. About half that wood came from some standing dead trees. The standing dead stuff, some pieces look pretty rough and clearly have signs of (hopefully) past rot issues. Some pieces have stuff growing on them but just the ends where they can sometimes get wet in a windy rain event. Overall my hickory seems fine at nearly 1 year old.

Then I have a couple cords of mixed hardwood, oak and cherry. This stuff was cut and stacked in May of 2017. The oak is a lot worse looking then the cherry, some pieces show signs of some rot and damage, I do not know if that is currently an ongoing issue or because all the wood in these stacks came from pretty dead trees. Some standing, some on the ground.

The cherry all the way around is the nicest looking wood of anything I have, not counting all the freshly cut ash, maple and pine that was done last month! Even the "old" 2017 cherry I have still looks great.

Outside top covered is not “kept dry” enough to last forever like the lumber in your house. Those top covers dribble off the sides onto the wood. Wind blows rain sideways onto the wood.

I just split rounds that I have had for years yesterday, some of the Walnut I split was getting pretty dry and not so good but I'll use it, some Black Locust rounds still had moisture in them and they are several years old but then again Black Locust seems to last forever!

And funny how certain woods will get those fungus "mushrooms" growing on them while others don't?

How does getting pretty dry make it not so good? Do you mean getting punky?

I’m burning a 5 year old mixed stack this year, top covered and on pallets. Only some rotten on top where the water laid in the wet leaves and soaked through. Ash, poplar, cherry, some sycamore and black walnut

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
How does getting pretty dry make it not so good? Do you mean getting punky?
Yes I guess I should've said it's getting very dry and lightweight but it has lost most of it's good properties, almost like it is past the point of being good fuelwood, not dry like well seasoned. It's stayed a little too long at the party, should've been used last year or before but it was buried in a stack.

I was planning on burning that stack last year but with all the rain it was a no-go. Adjusted the top covering for the summer and burned it this season. A few splits might have been too dry but 95% went in the stove. Some I even had to stand up next to the stove and let dry for a day or so