How long do I have after EAB infestation...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thisoldgoat

Burning Hunk
Dec 26, 2017
Rice County MN
...to salvage my trees for firewood. That is, after their demise, how long can I expect the wood to remain reasonably solid.

I have a ton of these trees, most are fairly young. The Borers have not arrived here yet but they are no doubt licking their chops as I write.

Nearly every Green Ash is infected around me. Neighbor had some logging done last year and they took some that were infected for saw logs and left the tops for me. The trunks were very much alive but they had several branches dead for about a year. The dead wood was solid still with the bark still on it. Another year though would think punk would be setting in. For the whole tree to dye off would take several years of infestation. This gives us some time to process so that's good. Kevin

Thanks Kevin. The insect has not shown up around here in large numbers... yet... isolated sightings were made in the Twin City area a couple of years ago but haven't heard anything more after that. That's only 40 miles from me so I think they are creeping this way.

i think they will remain good firewood as long as they are still standing even if they are dead, once they hit the ground tho you probably only have a year maybe two to get them cut up.

From what I've seen the bark does not fall off of the standing dead, at least not right away. If it did it could be standing for at least a few seasons before it would punk out.

The heartwood will remain sound a few years while while dying/ dead on the stump; however expect the sapwood to decay from the bark inward since EAB bore holes are directly beneath the bark and are a vector for fungal decay pathogens. The sooner you harvest it the better.
The problem is as soon as EAB begins its infestation in a tree, some parts of the tree begin to decay, often times while still appearing healthy, or at least living.
Felling EAB infested ash can be unpredictable because the location of decay and amount of strength loss is uncertain, so be careful and pass up on dubious trees. They can unexpectedly barber-chair.

Also, if you are 40 miles from the EAB infestation, you'll likely already have an incipient EAB infestation. Interstate highways will increase the rate of EAB spread (people moving firewood from infested areas, and EAB hitch-hikers on trucks).

I still have a little 12 year eab in my stacks. If the tree is off the ground, it will stay pretty solid. There will be a little punk on the top side, as the bark that doesn't fall off will hold some moisture. Usually I was finding that that bottom 5 feet of the trunk were punked out after 10 years. You're best off harvesting any on the ground trees first, if it's still standing you got plenty of time.

Reactions: TedyOH
...to salvage my trees for firewood. That is, after their demise, how long can I expect the wood to remain reasonably solid.

I have a ton of these trees, most are fairly young. The Borers have not arrived here yet but they are no doubt licking their chops as I write.

Standing my experience three years,fallen two maybe more depending on area.Here's three ye
How long do I have after EAB infestation...
ars standing cut yesterday,not one bad piece.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Looks good. Looks like what bark is left is ready to come off.

Most bark is loose,wood is like a rock and beautiful this in about one twentieth of what's here to cut and split,i'll be busy weather permitting on days off for the rest of the year.

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I inspected a large older ash today (I think it is the momma that seeded my young ash forest) and noticed light brown patches on the bark which I understand may be a symptom of the borer. I've seen no other symptoms, no exit holes or die-off. I'll put a photo up and see what you guys think.

I've never seen woodpeckers on this particular tree but I am finding chunks of bark on the ground near the base of the tree that match the pieces missing from the trunk. Also note the new sprout on the main trunk; the result of stress perhaps? These things have been evident for a few years.

I think I'll need to have a pro lay this one down when that time comes... it's bigger (32" diameter) than I'm accustomed to felling plus it leans toward the road.

The silver lining: most of the babies are quite small and will not need much splitting when they bite the dust.

How long do I have after EAB infestation... How long do I have after EAB infestation... How long do I have after EAB infestation... How long do I have after EAB infestation... How long do I have after EAB infestation...

I've had several ash trees die on my property. I thought it might be EAB, so I had our environmental conservation officer to come out and get his opinion on 3 dead Ash trees. One was just dead from age, and the two younger trees were dead because of a tree virus, but he saw no signs of EAB. Ash trees don't live long like oaks and maples.

If you suspect EAB infestations, your environmental conservation department probably wants to know about it.

I had another look at this tree and I'm not convinced that the EAB is at work here. I cannot find insect holes anywhere and the flaking bark is very consistent over all or most of the trunk. It appears to me that the tree is "molting" for lack of a better word. Is it possible that the bark sloughs these thin flakes off to make room for new tissue as the tree grows?

You local state Dept. of Agriculture or State Forest Service should be able to set up a EAB trap on the tree. They would do this likely in the Spring though. They did one on my neighbors tree a few years ago. Not at the request of my neighbor though.

You local state Dept. of Agriculture or State Forest Service should be able to set up a EAB trap on the tree. They would do this likely in the Spring though. They did one on my neighbors tree a few years ago. Not at the request of my neighbor though.
Hi Kevin, I had a look at the UMN EAB diagnostic tool... according to that my tree is not likely host to that bug yet. The symptoms I describe have remained unchanged for many years so I think I'll take a wait and see attitude and contact them if/when I see movement.

As said earlier if standing a few years at least, on the ground maybe two. Having some green leaves on the tree will help with time as well.

They say it gets so cold up here- between -30 to -40 on occasions during the winters that it kills the EAB larvae but this winter has been warm so far so the bug might spread further north this year. We are finally going to get some below zero weather coming in soon with highs staying below zero but now -35F stuff yet.

Update: Evidently the recent frigid weather had it's way, causing a fresh split on existing fault lines. There are two, about 180 degrees apart. Perhaps this tree will be a liability sooner rather than later. Perhaps I will need to have it taken down before it blows down. Either that or get some big zip ties.How long do I have after EAB infestation...

Reactions: Todd67
Update: Evidently the recent frigid weather had it's way, causing a fresh split on existing fault lines. There are two, about 180 degrees apart. Perhaps this tree will be a liability sooner rather than later. Perhaps I will need to have it taken down before it blows down. Either that or get some big zip ties.View attachment 240376

Looks like a great candidate for firewood. I have a few dead ash trees to cut down this summer. Looks like you have enough room to comfortably drop that tree without any issues. But then again, it appears to be leaning to the left...

You guys did get the minus 30-40 up there didnt you? I had 7 dead adh trees not from the beetles, I think they gave a short life span anyway.

You guys did get the minus 30-40 up there didnt you? I had 7 dead adh trees not from the beetles, I think they gave a short life span anyway.

From my own personal observations on my 15 acres, the ash trees have a short life span compared to other hardwoods.

The University of Minnesota says that anything -29 or colder kills EAB larvae. I had a tree that had split yours but not all the way down like yours. A arborist said I could bolt it with a large bolt or bolts and large washers and that the tree would heal around the bolt heads and nuts. It depends if you really want to try and save the tree or not since some trees in the yard in the right place would take many years to replace.... I did bolt my front yard tree and it works for a few years but then we got a bad storm that took it down anyways.