How durable metal wood racks ? Is it worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I'm planning to put several metal wood rack from HD or similar for seasoning my wood. I imaging that metal racks going to rust eventually. I live in North East . Do you need to retouch them with paint now and then. How long they usually last before thrown away?

I'm planning to put several metal wood rack from HD or similar for seasoning my wood. I imaging that metal racks going to rust eventually. I live in North East . Do you need to retouch them with paint now and then. How long they usually last before thrown away?
I think they will last a while as long as they are touched up with paint every once in a while. The main thing is that its that thin tube metal, once a tube collapses or gets dented badly, it pretty much turns to junk.

I've used them,and still do, but not for my primary storage. For the 30 bucks i wouldn't worry to much. Id say your going to get 10 or so years out of them, if not more. Just an FYI you dont have to buy the 8 foot lenths of 2x4s. You can use 12 foot lenths(or longer if available) and that will cut down on the number of racks needed or keep the same number of racks and increase the amount of wood storage. As a side note you will fined them to be verry versatile. They are mobile, you can use them as a solar kiln if you get short on wood, you can change the length of them if your needs change.
If you dont mined me asking hom much wood are you trying to season

I would wait until end of the season clearance at your local home depot. You can get them for 75% off and they have them every year. Picture proof attached for 8' rack. How durable metal wood racks ? Is it worth it?

Reactions: Lone_Gun
I would wait until end of the season clearance at your local home depot. You can get them for 75% off and they have them every year. Picture proof attached for 8' rack.View attachment 232826
Man, Thats where I got them . Got five of them and few covers. Will try to snitch some this year. They had Rutland stove glass cleaner for $1 as well. ( Reg price was $8). I've returned next day but they threw it in dumpster to make space for spring merchandize.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
I bought the metal racks you use 2xs, I use PT 10 footers and have had them over 10 years, I never got the all metal ones but I think you'd get your money's worth.