How do you split your wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
Since Im now a scrounge addict and have 3 1/2 cords of rounds to split I was just wondering how everyone splits their wood. Do you own a splitter, rent a splitter, use a Fiskars. I have at least 2 more cords coming so Ill have 5 cords to split minimum. This wood is for future winters, not this year so I can take some time doing it. I split some of the smaller rounds with my home depot splitter, the oak I have split nice and easy but maybe I should rent a splitter and knock it off one weekend.
So, Im interested in hearing how you guys handle your wood.

I use an assortment of hand splitting tools. Fiskars SSA, Fiskars X27, Gransfors heavy splitting maul, true temper splitting axe, plus some wedges and sledges. You can do a lot by hand, in many cases it's more productive than using a powered splitter.

Started out 30 yrs ago using Sotz Monster Maul,3-5lb single & double bit axes,various sledges & wedges. Owned new Speeco 20 ton hydraulic for 9 1/2 yrs,sold it Dec 2005 when needing quick cash.

Back to manual processing since.Unless its real huge or gnarly,most logs take less time for me to split by hand instead of with machine set-up time.Keeps me in good shape,I'll continue a few more yrs until body says 'no more!!" I just take more breaks now & dont try to push myself like when younger.

When I started accumulating wood, I posted about renting a splitter to work up my wood. The consistent advice I got here was, "Don't bother." I bought a four# maul, and it's been doing the job for me.

I read one post where someone said, "I enjoy burning wood, not splitting wood. I use a splitter." Other people hate dragging around a heavy piece of equipment, obliterating the birdsong and choking out the smell of the wood and the woods with fumes from a gas engine.

A splitter makes sense if you've got a bad back or bad shoulders or elbows, or maybe if you're cutting to sell, but it sounds like you've got time on your side and a relatively small quantity of wood. I'd try hitting it an hour here, an hour there, and see how fast you're working your way through the pile. Trailmaker has a pretty sweet assortment of hand tools, and I would think with that kind of equipment, you could "knock it out in a weekend" splitting by hand.

I've bought wood from a couple who are selling it in ten-cord increments, and said, "I assume you've got a splitter." He said, "No, my wife and I split it all by hand--it's quicker."

6 pound maul, minimum of 5 full cord per year for decades, except this last winter I split over 20 cord. This is the new one I bought earlier this year. The old heirloom maul in my profile pic is currently displayed on the garage wall:

The beast. About 18lbs with newer heavier wall pipe handle on accurate bathroom scale.Dont have to swing it much,just drop the sucker.If it dont split the first time,2nd or 3rd usually does it,never got it stuck all these years. 3-5 cords yearly,rarely any more.

Attachments

• How do you split your wood
    maul1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 748
    maul2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 774
    maul3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 759
weatherguy said:
Since Im now a scrounge addict and have 3 1/2 cords of rounds to split I was just wondering how everyone splits their wood. Do you own a splitter, rent a splitter, use a Fiskars. I have at least 2 more cords coming so Ill have 5 cords to split minimum. This wood is for future winters, not this year so I can take some time doing it. I split some of the smaller rounds with my home depot splitter, the oak I have split nice and easy but maybe I should rent a splitter and knock it off one weekend.

You can see by my avatar that I use hydraulics. However, it was not always that way. If memory serves me, I started splitting wood somewhere around 1949 or 1950. Back then we used either a double bitted axe or for the tough ones we used a sledge hammer and wedges. After I got married it seemed pretty nice for a few years to not have to mess with the wood.....but I did miss it. Still, fuel oil cost a whole $.12 per gallon and gas cost generally around $.23 per gallon so heating the house was not a big deal as far as money went. But yet.....something was missing and that something was good steady warmth.

So, we got back to burning wood and still do with no plans on stopping. Sometime around 1970 or thereabouts someone bought me a splitting maul. I'd never used one before this but ended up using it more than the axe. Then in 1984 I had an unfortunate accident and that successfully ended my love of splitting wood. I held off and even bought wood one year. One year I also split some wood by sitting on one log and using a sledge and wedge, I just tapped the wedge slowly until the wood split. I just had to get out of the house and do something and that seemed like a good thing to do. Fortunately that year I had all ash so it split very nicely.

So I started thinking very strongly about a hydraulic splitter but knew of nobody who had one other than some who had one for use with their tractor but they were slower than me sitting and tapping on a wedge. But I read about some and was curious. One evening we happened to be in Quality Farm and Fleet (now bought out by Tractor Supply) and they had several splitters on the floor. My wife and I was looking and discussing it when the manager saw us. He came to talk and in the end suggested that that little 20 ton should do all we needed done. Of course I told him my fear was it would be too slow and also would not split all of our wood, which amounted to a good amount of elm along with several other types.

He then countered that if I bought the splitter and it did not do what I wanted that I could bring it back for a full refund or trade it for a larger model. The splitters were marked at $100 off so I told him if he'd knock another hundred off I'd buy it right then. I had to take it in a box and put it together but that night we became the proud owners of a 20 ton MTD splitter. That was over 20 years ago. The only thing I've fixed on this thing is I had to shorten the starter rope when it broke. The little 5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine is beginning to use just a tad bit of oil but other than that all is well. We've split well over 200 cord of wood with this thing.

In all this time, I have thrown one piece of wood away. Perhaps I could have split it by monkeying around turning it and such but it was a gnarly old elm and it just was not worth it to me and I threw it away. That is the only piece of wood that has given me any problem so the 20 ton does very well. I can add that we have split a LOT of elm with this splitter too. So we can say it has been trouble free for over 20 years now so I think we have gotten our money's worth from it. I do not doubt that I could sell that thing for $600 either and we paid less than $800 for it! That just sweetens the pot.

My big point though is that if you enjoy splitting wood by hand then continue with it as long as you are able. It is great exercise and a wonderful thing to do during the winter months. I hate splitting even with the hydraulics when the weather is warm, but am doing some now for a neighbor. But do what you can when you can with what you have. If you are forced into buying something else, then do that.

One good example of doing with what you have is quads. Look at his splitting maul. He does a lot of splitting every year with that. Of course, he is an Irishman so he is a tough one so don't try to outdo him. He will win! Well, he's an awfully nice guy too and we all love him here on hearth.com

Good luck.

quads said:
6 pound maul, minimum of 5 full cord per year for decades, except this last winter I split over 20 cord. This is the new one I bought earlier this year. The old heirloom maul in my profile pic is currently displayed on the garage wall:

Mines very similar, I have some wedges too. I was making pretty quick work of the rounds I was splitting and Im good health so the exercise can only help. I was a little sore the next day but those muscles will get used to the work. I think Ill buy a Fiskars though, searched high and low this week and couldnt find one locally so Ill order online.
Thanks for the replies.

These are what I use. Rick

Attachments

splitters.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 758
weatherguy said:

I use our 24 ton splitter on most everything but if I'm working up top I'll use the 20 ton MTD (bought used) because it's lighter and easier to haul up the hill.

Zap

fossil said:
These are what I use. Rick

Aren't you missing a fiskars RicK?

Electric splitter that never moves. I usually get 6-8 cord built up then go to it.

Attachments

041710splitter.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 665
SolarAndWood said:
Electric splitter that never moves. I usually get 6-8 cord built up then go to it.

Where did you get such a big electric splitter S&W?

For the last several years we had been using a splitter exclusively. This year I'm splitting the easy stuff with a splitting axe and saving the tough stuff for the splitter.

weatherguy said:
SolarAndWood said:

Where did you get such a big electric splitter S&W?

My late FIL built it 20 yrs ago. It originally had a 4 cyl Wisconsin on it and a pump off a bulldozer. He swapped the pump out for a Haldex 16gpm 2 stage as the bulldozer pump made the splitter crazy fast. I swapped out the Wisconsin for a 5hp electric motor off a rotted compressor after reading someone's review here about the 20 ton electric Ramsplitter. I couldn't be happier.

Attachments

wisconsin.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 596
    right side splitter.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 615
I split what I can by hand and save the hard pieces. Then once a year I borrow a friends spliter and split the hard ones. Often after the rounds that dont split sit for about a year they split right open by hand.

I've started splitting most of my rounds in the woods with the Fiskars - and, after reading about how Quads splits, I don't use a block anymore - I usually split the rounds right on the ground - seems to work well, although I have dulled the Fiskars a bit more than I would have if I used a block. I like bringing home splits and stacking, vs. bringing home rounds and splitting - seems to save some handling time. I do save the tough rounds for the splitter. Cheers!

All by hand. I have an 8 lb maul and 2.5 lb Fiskar's splitting ax. If you can find a half hour a couple days per week you'll have five cords split by mid summer. I can't see spending money on a splitter when almost everything can be split by hand.

I split with blunt force trauma applied with an 8lb maul

My Fiskers SS is my go-to splitting tool. Next is my 10 pound maul. Occasionally I have to pull out the wedges and use the sledge head of the maul. I just bought two new, really heavy wedges. My old ones were really mushroomed and the heads were cracking. Shrapnel comes to mind with each whack from my sledge.

I'm sorely tempted to buy a splitter but can't really justify one with only burning about 1.5 cords a year. However, a day split in the field manhandling big rounds and splitting them so I can lift them up into my pickup bed is starting to give me shoulder problems that keep me from sleeping well. Maybe THAT will be justification for buying a splitter. A Huskee 22 ton would be just right for me. But then, I can rent a 22 ton Iron and Oak for $75 a weekend so that's probably what I should do. One weekend a year should do it if I have help. I currently have about three cords in rounds and access to a bunch more.

I waiver between splitting in the field or back in my production/stack area. When I split in the field, the lifting is not nearly so bad and... it's done! So when I get home all I have to do is stack. Of course it takes longer to get it all done in the field and sometimes I want to just load up and get home rather than possibly having to go back a second time to finish splitting and loading.

So... the majority of the time, I split the large trunk rounds into quarters so I can lift them. Then I can split on my own schedule at home.

Our wood gets split something like this.............
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7odo4PuF_w&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Couple of well-worn 6 lb mauls w/hickory handles, mainly. Older has "chubbier" (convex) cheeks- works better.
8 lb maul seemed worth a try back when. Now used mainly to drive wedges and collect dust.

Really difficult pieces get a groove ripped or noodled a couple of inches deep, then a wedge inserted at one end and maul at the other.
Extremely knotty/forked pieces might get noodled through.

Haven't found need for hydraulics, but used to sell them. Process 3-5 cords per yr. while getting ahead of the curve.

weatherguy said:

Well normally I don't answer such as personal question, but since you asked how I handle my wood . . . . ;)

I split with a hydraulic splitter . . . sometimes for fun I dig out the ax and just start whacking it . . . I feel it gets out a lot more pent up frustration when I'm whacking the wood vs. going to town with the slow and steady and reliable (and easier) hydraulic splitter. We are talking about firewood still, right . . . .

Backwoods Savage said:
weatherguy said:

You can see by my avatar that I use hydraulics. However, it was not always that way. If memory serves me, I started splitting wood somewhere around 1949 or 1950. Back then we used either a double bitted axe or for the tough ones we used a sledge hammer and wedges. After I got married it seemed pretty nice for a few years to not have to mess with the wood.....but I did miss it. Still, fuel oil cost a whole $.12 per gallon and gas cost generally around $.23 per gallon so heating the house was not a big deal as far as money went. But yet.....something was missing and that something was good steady warmth.

So, we got back to burning wood and still do with no plans on stopping. Sometime around 1970 or thereabouts someone bought me a splitting maul. I'd never used one before this but ended up using it more than the axe. Then in 1984 I had an unfortunate accident and that successfully ended my love of splitting wood. I held off and even bought wood one year. One year I also split some wood by sitting on one log and using a sledge and wedge, I just tapped the wedge slowly until the wood split. I just had to get out of the house and do something and that seemed like a good thing to do. Fortunately that year I had all ash so it split very nicely.

So I started thinking very strongly about a hydraulic splitter but knew of nobody who had one other than some who had one for use with their tractor but they were slower than me sitting and tapping on a wedge. But I read about some and was curious. One evening we happened to be in Quality Farm and Fleet (now bought out by Tractor Supply) and they had several splitters on the floor. My wife and I was looking and discussing it when the manager saw us. He came to talk and in the end suggested that that little 20 ton should do all we needed done. Of course I told him my fear was it would be too slow and also would not split all of our wood, which amounted to a good amount of elm along with several other types.

He then countered that if I bought the splitter and it did not do what I wanted that I could bring it back for a full refund or trade it for a larger model. The splitters were marked at $100 off so I told him if he'd knock another hundred off I'd buy it right then. I had to take it in a box and put it together but that night we became the proud owners of a 20 ton MTD splitter. That was over 20 years ago. The only thing I've fixed on this thing is I had to shorten the starter rope when it broke. The little 5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine is beginning to use just a tad bit of oil but other than that all is well. We've split well over 200 cord of wood with this thing.

In all this time, I have thrown one piece of wood away. Perhaps I could have split it by monkeying around turning it and such but it was a gnarly old elm and it just was not worth it to me and I threw it away. That is the only piece of wood that has given me any problem so the 20 ton does very well. I can add that we have split a LOT of elm with this splitter too. So we can say it has been trouble free for over 20 years now so I think we have gotten our money's worth from it. I do not doubt that I could sell that thing for $600 either and we paid less than $800 for it! That just sweetens the pot.

My big point though is that if you enjoy splitting wood by hand then continue with it as long as you are able. It is great exercise and a wonderful thing to do during the winter months. I hate splitting even with the hydraulics when the weather is warm, but am doing some now for a neighbor. But do what you can when you can with what you have. If you are forced into buying something else, then do that.

One good example of doing with what you have is quads. Look at his splitting maul. He does a lot of splitting every year with that. Of course, he is an Irishman so he is a tough one so don't try to outdo him. He will win! Well, he's an awfully nice guy too and we all love him here on hearth.com

Good luck.

+1 I roll with Dennis plan. Got to get a cusion though this weekend going to be a splitting Bonanza!

Status
Not open for further replies.