How do you break in a new vehicle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
We picked up our new Sprinter van Friday. 2.0L twin turbo diesel. Reading the manual they want you to do longer break in progress it’s either 1000 miles or Km. Can’t remember.

No high speed driving, no constant speed? No manual downshifts, no towing. I asked the MB commercial salesman how many people follow the manufacturer’s break in procedure. He paused (I think he wanted to something else) but ended up saying “1%”

So how would you break in a new vehicle? Would you follow the manufacturer’s instructions?

Regular service interval for these is 20k miles or 24 months. When would you do the first oil change? ( MB approved oils are not as prevalent as you might think.)

I have a hard time thinking Amazon and FexEx really baby these once they take delivery.

Thoughts…,

EbSP

I have no idea what MB is . new unit change oil 3k or even at 1500 miles. 5k there after. real problem with new engines all makes is the egr carboning up the intake and cooling systems. keep records of everything in detail.

The Manufacturers overplay the break in just vary your speed
for the first 1000K and change the oil and filter at 3000 K
Then normal maintenance
Just my nickel worth after 25 years as a GM dealership light and heavy line tech

Reactions: EbS-P
You want to change you oil pretty quickly for the first time because it can contain metal shaving from the brand new engine, after that just do regular maintance.

You want to change you oil pretty quickly for the first time because it can contain metal shaving from the brand new engine, after that just do regular maintance.
I keep hearing this. And I mostly agree with his views.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

10 L of MB spec oil and a filter at the dealership is about $250. I need to go back and do my own oil changes. I think I can get Mobile 1 MB approved oil.

It’s about 90$ worth of oil….https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-and-transmission-fluid/engine-oil/p/mobil-1-esp-full-synthetic-engine-oil-5w-30-5-quart/1178024_0_0

Reactions: bigealta
Considering most of your engine wear takes place in the first 300 miles, I’ve always tried to get the oil changed by 1000. If there was a way to service the transmission, I’d do the same, but my current vehicle is sealed.

Last engine I broke in was an outboard and the gear oil had a metallic sheen to it after the manufacturer break in period . After that change, the oil has always been normal.

But if you’re just looking to make the van where you’re not going to worry about every little scratch and door ding, park it at the local supermarket for a few hours.

At $250 a oil change you should for sure be doing your own oil changes lol. I buy a bucket of oil on sale and use it for almost all of my vehicles, with some vehicles you don't even need to jack the car up....

At $250 a oil change you should for sure be doing your own oil changes lol. I buy a bucket of oil on sale and use it for almost all of my vehicles, with some vehicles you don't even need to jack the car up....
At Mercedes the oil is blessed by the pope then gently poured in with white gloves and a platinum funnel.
"The best(most expensive), or nothing" -Mercedes Benz

• Love
Reactions: johneh
Given the amount of oil he's tossing out I suspect he must have some oil company stocks.

At $250 an oil change you should for sure be doing your own oil changes lol. I buy a bucket of oil on sale and use it for almost all of my vehicles, with some vehicles you don't even need to jack the car up....
Yes I should. But I need a 15qt drain pan then I have to drive it to get recycled. I want this van to last 20+ years. I probably should.
Considering most of your engine wear takes place in the first 300 miles, I’ve always tried to get the oil changed by 1000. If there was a way to service the transmission, I’d do the same, but my current vehicle is sealed.

Last engine I broke in was an outboard and the gear oil had a metallic sheen to it after the manufacturer break in period . After that change, the oil has always been normal.

But if you’re just looking to make the van where you’re not going to worry about every little scratch and door ding, park it at the local supermarket for a few hours.
5 kids it won’t have that new car smell long. The little one is an up and coming graffiti artist. If it makes “art”, as she says, it get made. Caught with a rock in her hand and a smal scratch on the old van. Didn’t see it happen, but it looked like it could be her art.

Looks like aDIY MB transmission fluid change is $350. That’s more complicated than an oil change. I’ll have to find a video. The fuel filter didn’t look too bad to change. https://www.blauparts.com/2019-mercedes-sprinter-transmission-fluid-change-kit-mb-23617.html
Given the amount of oil he's tossing out I suspect he must have some oil company stocks.
there are only like 3 companies that make base oils.

I keep hearing this. And I mostly agree with his views.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

10 L of MB spec oil and a filter at the dealership is about $250. I need to go back and do my own oil changes. I think I can get Mobile 1 MB approved oil.

It’s about 90$ worth of oil….https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-and-transmission-fluid/engine-oil/p/mobil-1-esp-full-synthetic-engine-oil-5w-30-5-quart/1178024_0_0

That Mobil ESP 5w-40 oil is the same that we used to run in the wife's Chevy Colorado with the 2.8 Duramax diesel. It's about the only low SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosporus and Sulphur) oil around. It required Dexos2, but that's quite similar to the MB 229.52 spec.

I'm not sure if you can still get it, but the GM dealers used to carry that same oil in a 5w-40 weight, it's used in the V8 Camaro's for track duty IIRC.

The goal of a low SAPS oil is to protect the emissions equipment, the Sulphur and Phosphorus poisons the catalysts and DPF filter, otherwise it's generally considered somewhat inferior to normal diesel oil. We switched to Shell Rotella 5w-40 a few years back, I'd rather yank the exhaust filter off the truck than tear into the engine.

Reactions: Highbeam and EbS-P
That Mobil ESP 5w-40 oil is the same that we used to run in the wife's Chevy Colorado with the 2.8 Duramax diesel. It's about the only low SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosporus and Sulphur) oil around. It required Dexos2, but that's quite similar to the MB 229.52 spec.

I'm not sure if you can still get it, but the GM dealers used to carry that same oil in a 5w-40 weight, it's used in the V8 Camaro's for track duty IIRC.

The goal of a low SAPS oil is to protect the emissions equipment, the Sulphur and Phosphorus poisons the catalysts and DPF filter, otherwise it's generally considered somewhat inferior to normal diesel oil. We switched to Shell Rotella 5w-40 a few years back, I'd rather yank the exhaust filter off the truck than tear into the engine.
Been using rotella t6 for the majority of my vehicles for a while now, all started with my diesel jetta. Look for the big buckets when they go on sale, you usually get a "free" oil change out of it.

My ford pickup truck uses 4 gallons of rotella t6 5w-40 oil too. About 100$ of oil plus an huge filter. Every 5k miles.

Recycling that oil is a little more challenging than 5 quarts but it goes to the same place. Just a bucket instead of a jug.

I would have a hard time going 20k miles between oil changes. I think they only say that to try and appear to have lower maintenance costs but passing the risk and negative consequences on to the owners.

Doesn't the garbage man grab your old oil? Where I live we just put it out with the garbage and they take it...

So the 2.slow liter has been used in smaller cars with a 5L oil capacity and say a 10k miles interval. Double the capacity and you double the interval. I won’t do 20k but you full synthetic probably would be fine. I do 10k in my Honda if it’s mostly highway miles.

They do the same same thing with the transmission. It’s been used in other SUVs. Just double the oil capacity change the gear ratio, might have made some modifications to the pan filter. At 200+ $/hr labor rates at dealerships I can see how this appealing to fleet owners.

With a modern EV the only breakin required is for the driver. :) Well, maybe the tires too.