Honey Bear gasket size help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slugboy6000

Aug 10, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'd like to replace the door gasket on a Fisher Honey Bear with glass doors.

The old gasket that I removed is somewhere between 1/4" - 3/8" round, but I suspect it's not original.

I tried 1/2" rope, it's too bulky for the door to close.
Cardboard strips placed in the channel iron on the stove body are also too thick for the door to close.
This makes me wonder if round gasket was specified at all for this stove, as some of it was missing.
Whatever it needs, has to compress down to 1/16"-1/8" from the looks of it.

I couldn't find any info on the forum, or in the manual (thanks coaly for posting). The manual does specify 1/4" flat gasket for the glass which I can't find locally unfortunately.

I attached some photos for reference.

Regards,
-Richard

Attachments

• honey_bear.01.JPG
    honey_bear.01.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 345
  • honey_bear.02.JPG
    honey_bear.02.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 320
  • honey_bear.03.JPG
    honey_bear.03.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 406
  • honey_bear_door.01.jpg
    honey_bear_door.01.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Yours uses flat gasket in the channel iron (door seal) attached to stove as shown below;

Honey Bear Tags.JPG

Later versions with no channel iron (door seal) use much thicker gasket on the doors;

Honey Bear after 14.jpg Notice the flat stove front with no door seal. This was also the style of the Model IV glass doors.

Notice our U.S Honey Bears didn't have the ash fender trim and look frail compared to yours too.

Hi coaly, thanks for the response. I thought I needed the flat gasket after reading some of your older posts....but there is no play when I shut the doors without any gasket. The shape of the mating parts don't seem to indicate flat gasket either, as I wouldn't get the triple seal found in non-gasketed stoves (I drew a picture of what I'm seeing).

Attachments

• door_play.01.jpg
    door_play.01.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 244
Yep, keep the cement thin and use the thinnest flat gasket you can get. (for glass) It only acts as a cushion when you close the door. It will crush. Solid cast iron doors didn't use any. My picture shows a "like new" Honey Bear that was only fired to cure paint. The new looking gasket is original. Here's a used one that has crushed from use.

Honey Bear 7.jpg

Solid doors;

Solid Door Honey Bear 2 MN.jpg

I cemented a 1/8" thick flat gasket to the channel iron on the honey bear. The gasket wasn't for glass specifically, but was the thinnest I could get locally. Maybe I used a little too much cement?.. time will tell.
It worked out pretty well, the doors require some force to close, but they do close.
Thanks coaly

Attachments

• honey_bear_body.jpg
    honey_bear_body.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 219
Status
Not open for further replies.