Homeowner's Insurance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

djlew

Nov 3, 2023
New Jersey
I know that a lot of folks have already commented about some new homeowners insurance requirements for fireplace, flue, and chimney maintenance for this year, but man I feel like they are getting strict about a lot of things!

House I'm in now has a proper framed out shed that we obviously want covered as a structure, yada yada. We have another shed. It existed when we moved in but that's how it goes. Insurance did not like it. I get it, the siding was rough so we stripped it down to studs and a roof. It has nothing in it and the overall structure is fine (to us). We wanted to use it for seasoning firewood. It's a perfect little wood shed and I'd have to do no work!

Anyway, my two options from the insurance are to either rebuild it (siding required, door required, new roof) or tear it down. Tearing it down would require fence work since it acts as a part of the fence. We have 3 weeks to do it before we get the cancellation notice. Best part, all of this review is done via photos. I asked if somebody could come out and show me what exactly is wrong but nope.

People have jobs to do, I get it, but man I feel like it's getting stricter and stricter, and premiums are just going up and up. Anybody else experience anything like this? I'm not stranger to being called crazy but I was really caught off guard with these requirements and the time to complete them!

When a large company starts to get fussy in a way that make things difficult for a customer, sometimes the point is not the issue they are explicitly talking about. Sometimes they are just looking for an excuse to cancel the business relationship, perhaps for reasons that have nothing to do with the customer, e.g., internal business changes, changes to the local laws, etc. You might want to check with other insurance companies.

I've learned that you have to shop every few years, and occasionally switch companies, just to keep 'em "honest"...sounds like its time