Homemade wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neibe

Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2007
West Michigan
So here is what I'd like to do and hopefully someone can set me straight.I want to get a 200+ gallon water storage tank. I have an indoor wood furnace which i will heat the water to 180 this will circulate through our oil furnace and use the oil furnaces blower to heat the house. My plan is to only burn wood twice a week to heat the water then have the water retain the heat a couple days to heat the house. I think I will need a pump and a thermostat to control the oil furnace and circulate the water. And a radiator of some kind to put in the oil furnace duct work. My furnace has pipes running thru it to heat hot water for showers and such i'd like to use this to heat the water in the storage tank. Help Please?

I'm moving this over the the boiler room for the experts there to get you going.

pen

Neibe said:
So here is what I'd like to do and hopefully someone can set me straight.I want to get a 200+ gallon water storage tank. I have an indoor wood furnace which i will heat the water to 180 this will circulate through our oil furnace and use the oil furnaces blower to heat the house. My plan is to only burn wood twice a week to heat the water then have the water retain the heat a couple days to heat the house. I think I will need a pump and a thermostat to control the oil furnace and circulate the water. And a radiator of some kind to put in the oil furnace duct work. Help Please?

I assume you mean that you have a wood boiler? A furnace is hot air, a boiler is hot water.

If you have a boiler, what you need to transfer the heat is a heat exchange coil. Something like this here:
http://www.outdoorfurnacesupply.com/water-to-air-heat-exchangers/47k-btu-hot-water-unit-heater.html

The same vendor sells pumps, etc.....

My wood furnace has an attachment on it to heat water so i want to use this to heat the water in the storage tank.

Neibe said:
So here is what I'd like to do and hopefully someone can set me straight.I want to get a 200+ gallon water storage tank. I have an indoor wood furnace which i will heat the water to 180 this will circulate through our oil furnace and use the oil furnaces blower to heat the house. My plan is to only burn wood twice a week to heat the water then have the water retain the heat a couple days to heat the house. I think I will need a pump and a thermostat to control the oil furnace and circulate the water. And a radiator of some kind to put in the oil furnace duct work. My furnace has pipes running thru it to heat hot water for showers and such i'd like to use this to heat the water in the storage tank. Help Please?

Not to be sarcastic, but unless you live in a 300 square foot house, or it has 4 ft of insulation around it, 200 gallons of heated water is not going to provide 3+days of heating. Most guys here with 500 gallon storage tanks do 1 burn a day, maybe 2 when its cold (0 degrees) outside. IMO, if your going to add storage, go as big as you can. I have 500 and wish I had gone 1,000, but it still works well for me.

Pat

Neibe said:
What Pat said. I would suggest reading the threads to get up to speed. Minimum is a 500 gallon tank for any kind of decent storage. If you have one of the Ebay stainless steel add on loops? you will charge the tank very slowly. I would count on burning every day with what you have. Good luck, Randy

Pat53 said:
Neibe said:

Not to be sarcastic, but unless you live in a 300 square foot house, or it has 4 ft of insulation around it, 200 gallons of heated water is not going to provide 3+days of heating. Most guys here with 500 gallon storage tanks do 1 burn a day, maybe 2 when its cold (0 degrees) outside. IMO, if your going to add storage, go as big as you can. I have 500 and wish I had gone 1,000, but it still works well for me.

Pat[/qu
ote]K that's not sarcastic that is what I'm trying to figureout is there a way is it worth it Thanks for the help

Singed Eyebrows said:
Neibe said:
What Pat said. I would suggest reading the threads to get up to speed. Minimum is a 500 gallon tank for any kind of decent storage. If you have one of the Ebay stainless steel add on loops? you will charge the tank very slowly. I would count on burning every day with what you have. Good luck, Randy

It is built into the unit but if Ihave to burn everyday to do it then I don't think it would be worth it. I'll keep reading older post Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.