Homemade heat shield for my Hearthstone Harvest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scandar

Nov 10, 2019
Centreton, USA
I want to make a heat shield for the rear of my Harvest. (Pretty sure it is a Harvest anyway)
I have some stainless steel doors from an old BBQ grill I was thinking of using. I plan on seaming
them together and using the bolt holes on the back of stove with a 2 or 3" gap. Has anyone
here made a shield and if so what did you use? Anyone have a better idea? Thanks.

Mine is from Woodstock, not home-made but it is made of formed sheet metal. You can see one of the two spacer sleeves that the mounting bolts pass through.
Works great for preventing radiation from heating the exterior masonry chimney, instead keeping the back of the stove hotter and allowing the heat to be transferred by convection into the room.
Homemade heat shield for my Hearthstone Harvest

Reactions: Scandar
I like the bends but I will probably have straight lines since I don't have a brake.
I am under the 18" for the wall clearance on the back by a good 3". I may put a
heat shield on the wall too just to be safe. My furnace drowned so I don't really
have time to work on points for style. I was going to do spacer pipe like you have
but the stove has a cat so I think I will use all all thread and two nuts to hold it.
That way I can remove it without worrying about the bolts breaking off in the stove.
Originally I was leaning towards aluminum but apparently it is not heat tolerant.
What is the minimum distance on your shield and how thick is it?

At the bottom, the shield is about 4" from the back wall of the stove, maybe 2" up where the controls are. Not sure about the thickness..maybe 18-22 GA. ? On my particular stove, it reduces rear clearance from 18" to 12".
If you can find a metal tag on the stove and ID it as a Harvest, maybe you can find more info on the heat shields that were made for it, and use that as a guide.

I made a free standing heat shield for my Mansfield out of a sheet of aluminum . It can sit as close to the stove or wall as needed. No bolting to the stove .

Better picture

Attachments

• IMG_1080.MOV
    3.4 MB
  • Homemade heat shield for my Hearthstone Harvest
    image.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 133
I made a free standing heat shield for my Mansfield out of a sheet of aluminum . It can sit as close to the stove or wall as needed. No bolting to the stove .
I like the idea but I have a old hard plaster wall. The minimum required unshielded distance
is 18" but a window stud in the wall pushed my thimble install below that. The distance with
an attached heat shield is within the 15" I have to work with. Several people said the melting
point of aluminum at 1200' and it gets weakened at 600' over time. So I need an attached
shield that can take a lot of heat. I will most likely put a thinner metal stand off heat barrier up
3" off of the wall just because I like my house. I found some corrugated steel sheets at Home
Depot which may work but they are 24 mil and the code is 22 mil so I would have to double them.
They are also really ugly... I just need to get this finished before really cold weather.
Thanks for the picture and I may use your idea for the stand but with a piece of steel.
Out of curiosity how long have you used your shield and do you think the metal has become brittle
or fatigued?

My shield doesn't get hot at all. I think it just reflects the radiation back at the stove. The outside is painted but the side facing the stove is bare metal..you can see your reflection in it.

Same here , the shield is usually cool enough to touch , so it rarely gets over say 300F. It would get hotter if I moved it closer to the stove.

Keeping the steel bare (not painted) and not oxidized on the stove side is important to the proper function of the shield.