High ash content and incomplete burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ed Churilla

May 14, 2013
pittsburgh PA
Lately my Englander 25-PDVC/55-SHP10 mfg 8/08 has been leaving a lot of partially burned pellets and high ash content. Same brand of pellets as before when it was working well. Any suggestions? Maybe adjust some of the settings? If you have a setting that works well for you, can you share it? I'll post a pic to show what I'm getting. Have to shut down and clean it about every other day.

Thanks
High ash content and incomplete burn

It needs another thorough clean out. Pellets can change from batch to batch, if your getting that much build up in a week you can imagin what has gone down the back side of the impingement plate and into the exhaust. That stove needs a leaf blower clean and a rubber mallet to the fire chamber. Have you removed the combustion blower and cleaned it out and blown out the motor frame?When was the exhaust vent pipe last cleaned?

It needs another thorough clean out. Pellets can change from batch to batch, if your getting that much build up in a week you can imagin what has gone down the back side of the impingement plate and into the exhaust. That stove needs a leaf blower clean and a rubber mallet to the fire chamber. Have you removed the combustion blower and cleaned it out and blown out the motor frame?When was the exhaust vent pipe last cleaned?
Never did a leaf blower or rubber mallet. Used a small air compressor to blow thru the passages. Exhaust stack was cleaned late spring. I’ll hit it tomorrow am and see if it helps

Leaf blower will b ur new best friend. Awesome how well it works. Do that then start over. If u still have issues, time to dial in the 3 magic numbers. Are u running a stat?

Leaf blower will b ur new best friend. Awesome how well it works. Do that then start over. If u still have issues, time to dial in the 3 magic numbers. Are u running a stat?
no stat--just until the past few weeks it was burning perfectly so I'll tackle the major cleanout and see if that fixes it.

It would take me 4 days to build as much as as in your pic! Please post back after you run the leaf blower and let us know the outcome.

;) glad its working better for ya.