Here are some buffer tanks I found forsale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
can they be used for DHW storage from a coil inside the wood burner?

These are being sold by Woodmaster. Double check to see if they are pressurized or not. Their boiler is unpressurized.

I know nothing about them I was just looking for something else and ran across them.

Rob

I just spoke with Woodmaster about these tanks and confirmed that they are NOT for use with pressure systems. The tanks do look very nice though and have 4 ports for water in/out and and 4 ports for temperature probes (at least that is what the photo appears to show).

They also offer 10 and 20 gallon expansion tanks.

In talking with someone at Woodmaster, they said that these are for use with their Flexfuel wood boilers.

I've asked for some more detailed information on both the buffer tanks and expansion tanks to see exactly how they recommend putting a system like this together.

I'm a little curious as to how you can have a closed system but use tanks that are not rated for pressure.

Brian

Woodmaster Flexfuel boilers operate under little to no pressure. This gets them around the ASTM tank and boiler ratings.
Since they are an outdoor wood boiler manufacturer, this is what they were doing for those boilers.

It opens a whole thought process about using unpressurized tanks for wood boilers.
We have done a reasonable bit of this with good success.

There are limitations. Steel tanks will still corrode above the waterline. Whether this is a major problem or not, time will tell.
I use one of our tanks and just pump water in and out to the boiler (which is stainless steel) and the heating loop, which is
all non-ferrous.

Works fine, with no noise.

The OWB people might have something to consider in this realm, maybe...

Effecta Boiler User said:
I just spoke with Woodmaster about these tanks and confirmed that they are NOT for use with pressure systems. The tanks do look very nice though and have 4 ports for water in/out and and 4 ports for temperature probes (at least that is what the photo appears to show).

They also offer 10 and 20 gallon expansion tanks.

In talking with someone at Woodmaster, they said that these are for use with their Flexfuel wood boilers.

I've asked for some more detailed information on both the buffer tanks and expansion tanks to see exactly how they recommend putting a system like this together.

I'm a little curious as to how you can have a closed system but use tanks that are not rated for pressure.

Brian

I bet my propane tanks are not for use with a pressure boiler system too! LOL

Rob

But they are for use in a pressured situation.

This storage & expansion thing is getting to be the biggest headache in sorting out my coming system overhaul - seems that finding big propane tanks up here would be like finding a winning lotto ticket. And anything new & off the shelf I've seen so far is going to cost as much as a boiler - likely more by the time I get it here.

maple1 said:
But they are for use in a pressured situation.

This storage & expansion thing is getting to be the biggest headache in sorting out my coming system overhaul - seems that finding big propane tanks up here would be like finding a winning lotto ticket. And anything new & off the shelf I've seen so far is going to cost as much as a boiler - likely more by the time I get it here.

Maple ,

to tell you the truth if I was to use a eko type boiler again i would not use storage. I have a friend with a bio 60 who does not have storage and his system run real well. Also he does not have to light fires everyday like i have to.

Rob

That's what has me considering a Wood Gun too - might be a better setup with some storage added, but not a 'requirement' per their specs.

First choice so far is Varm, but they require it.

Status
Not open for further replies.