Help with Sauna stove installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Floki

Jun 10, 2024
Canada
Hey, pretty new to this stuff. Most woodstove shops won’t advise me on a sauna installation for liability reasons they say… Could really use some help making a safe and proper chimney system

I have a Narvi woodstove for my sauna, a popular stove from Finland. I’m here in Canada, the smallest chimney set i can buy is 6” diameter, the connection from the Narvi is 4”. So my main issue is how to connect from 4” to 6”. And my other question; is there any issues with going to stainless steel pipe as soon as possible? I want the stove to be as tight to the wall as possible. It connects from the back and I bought a Supervent through the wall chimney kit ( still time to return it if you guys have better options).

The stove also comes with an 8 inch long connector pipe (4” diameter). Could I not just slide this inside a SS 6” diameter piece or is that dangerous. Ideally it goes from 4” to 6” SS very quickly since its going through the wall immediately. The stove itself only needs 6” clearance to combustibles

Any help much appreciated!

One option is to go from 4" to 5" (or 6") right at the stove. Or stick with 4" all the way. Selkirk makes a line of 4" HT pipe.

The most important thing is to make sure that clearances are safely maintained and the passage through the wall is done properly with the right fittings.

These folks are helpful. Ask for Sean for assistance in ordering the right parts.

Ah thanks i’ll check this out, and see if they ship to Canada.
Yea I am going to pass insulated pipe through the wall. My main issue is the connection point to the stove. The stock pipe it comes with is 8 inches long, and i found a 4 to 6” adapter piece but it is also 8 inches long. Making the total distance 16” before i can make a connection to stainless steel. Ideally i would go from single wall pipe (out of the stove) to insulated in only a few inches. So I can have insulated pipe pass through the wall and still have the stove 6-8” from the wall

ICC Excel is Canadian-made and has a 5" line of chimney pipe.
Selkirk Ultra-Temp 4" chimney pipe is sold in Canada. Check with them for dealers.

Ah thanks i’ll check this out, and see if they ship to Canada.
Yea I am going to pass insulated pipe through the wall. My main issue is the connection point to the stove. The stock pipe it comes with is 8 inches long, and i found a 4 to 6” adapter piece but it is also 8 inches long. Making the total distance 16” before i can make a connection to stainless steel. Ideally i would go from single wall pipe (out of the stove) to insulated in only a few inches. So I can have insulated pipe pass through the wall and still have the stove 6-8” from the wall
What are the required clearances of the stove?

6 inches to combustibles. It has a built-in metal heat shielding around it. Could probably get even closer if I put some concrete board or other heat shielding on the wall as well.

6 inches to combustibles. It has a built-in metal heat shielding around it. Could probably get even closer if I put some concrete board or other heat shielding on the wall as well.
No that's probably the minimum