Help with new fireplace please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wharf rat

Jul 17, 2019
Wi
Hello, looking for advice and opinions and hopefully not beating a dead horse. I have done hours upon hours of research trying to figure this out. Little history, avid wood burner. Last new construction home I built was just shy of 3000sq ft two story with Heat n glo Northstar. That was built 13 years ago. Good unit, cranks out heat for sure. Maybe not as long lasting fire as I would like. Quality hardwoods with ample coal base seemed to net about 6-7 hour burn time, maybe less. One thing I hated about it was it was set on an exterior wall chase and cold air would gush out of the bottom and into living room when not in use. I ended up bending a custom piece of metal to put over bottom vent to try and curb the problem with mediocre results. Yes outside air intake was closed. Overall decent to good unit but.... Unit before in smaller new construction home was the Bis Ultima. Really nice, efficient unit no longer made?

Ok now on to another new construction build. 1900 sq ft ranch, chase is near center of home in vaulted living room. I can get the Heatilator Constitution (same as Northstar)from a local Hvac company who also installs a decent amount of fireplaces for a 4600$ installed. Or, I can get the FP30 installed for about 6000$ from a only fireplace store. The fireplace store salesman says the 6000$ fp30 is really not worth the expense as “ they all have to have the same efficiency” I don’t know. My research says the fp30 is a nice unit, has insulated flue pipe which wouldn’t allow cold air to sink down,maybe? But maybe the salesman is honest and it’s not worth the extra 1500$. This is most likely not a forever home but still want a good unit at a good price. Am I missing something as far as other units? Not interested in a cat stove really. Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. Some BIS products are still sold under the Astria name.
http://astria.us.com/products/t/wood-burning-fireplaces

Something seems odd about the price quotes. I thought the Constitution is larger and more expensive than the FP30. They are pretty different in a lot of ways. The price you have posted for the Constitution sounds like a discounted price for the fireplace alone. List price starts around $5100. It's hard to believe that includes installation. The FP30 sells for about $3800.

If you are looking for a decent fireplace at a good price, check out the SBI line (Valcourt Lafayette, Osburn Stratford, Flame Monaco or Monaco XL).

Yeah I just looked at the quote again and it’s just shy of 4600$ tax, installation every thing included. Yes I figured the fp30 price was high as the fireplace store that quoted that is known for their high prices. The other two fireplace store near here don’t carry the fp30. I will check out the brand you suggested.