help with breaking out clay liner!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roadglide13!

Nov 25, 2016
new hampshire
i have to break out my clay liner to fit a 6 inch ss liner down a 16 foot chimney that is free standing about 9 feet above the roof line was wondering if i can break out the tile from the bottom instead of renting a lift and breaking them from the top any recommendations would help me out thank you! @bholler

Last edited:
i have to break out my clay liner to fit a 6 inch ss liner down a 16 foot chimney that is free standing about 9 feet above the roof line was wondering if i can break out the tile from the bottom instead of renting a lift and breaking them from the top any recommendations would help me out thank you!
yes you can how are you planning on breaking them out?

yes you can how are you planning on breaking them out?
well i have a cleanup in the garage also a second thimble in the garage and another thimble in the house was going to try to hammer and chisel starting at the highest thimble which is 15 feet then to the next one another two feet down then to the cleanest. I'm afraid the whole thing will collapse if i did it this way the brick on the chimney is in great shape do you think this is do able? @bholler

Last edited:
well i have a cleanup in the garage also a second thimble in the garage and another thimble in the house was going to try to hammer and chisel starting at the highest thimble which is 15 feet then to the next one another two feet down then to the cleanest. I'm afraid the whole thing will collapse if i did it this way the brick on the chimney is in great shape do you think this is do able? @bholler
With the right equipment it is doable the way you are proposing I dont see ow you could get all the liners out

well what are the right tools and the proper method for doing this job from the bottom up?
A rotary breaker the one that is a bar with 2 balls on chans with rods to run it and a drill. You will probably have to open up the hole at the cleanout a bit to get the rods in there too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.