Help! Smoke coming from seam during Jotul Castine break-in.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah1122

Oct 25, 2015
Maine
Hi, I'm totally new here.

We just got a brand new Jotul Castine and we've never broken in a stove before. We ran the first break-in fire last night as recommended...all went well. This morning we ran the second break in and when the stove reached 300 degrees there was a loud pop and then much hissing from the back of the stove as well as some smoke/steam coming out.

We moved the rear heat shield to find that the seam between the side panel and the bottom panel of the stove had actually spit out hunk of charred black stuff. There was more smoking charred black stuff across about a 1 inch area on the seam. The smoke continued for about 15 minutes then stopped when the stove backed down to 250 or so.

What the heck? Was this a bit of adhesive that burned up and popped off the outside of the stove or is the stove not sealed correctly?

I have photos if anyone wants to see them. Please help!

Last edited:
I'm only guessing, could you have gotten it to hot to quick? The break in cures the stove cement. I had a simular issue changing a door gasket.The cement burned because it was not hard. I would do some more lower temp short burns, and see what happens.

We brought it up to 300 in about 30 minutes....to fast? We've never done this before.
Also attaching photos.

Attachments

• Help!  Smoke coming from seam during Jotul Castine break-in.
    IMG_8682.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 341
  • Help!  Smoke coming from seam during Jotul Castine break-in.
    IMG_8681.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 315
Is that bubbled paint?

Its hard to say, it could have just brrn excess cement that pooped out, or something could have broken.

300 in 30 mins for the 2nd break in fire doesnt seen too fast to me. What temp did the first fire get to?

I just double checked at the stove and there is no bubbled paint. The lighter color on the seam in the first photo is ash. That's the area that was smoking.
First fire got to 200 in about 20 minutes. We held it at 200 for about 15-20 and then let it cool on its own.
Second fire got to 300 over 30 minutes. When it hit 300 it was burning pretty good and I was worried it would get too hot so we closed it off about 75% of the way to hold it. The little explosion happened about 5-10 minutes later. The stove was still at 300.

Soooo hoping that this is a little cement mishap. Its getting chilly here in Down East Maine and I'm ready for some heat!

I was referring to the 2nd pic, but looking at other photos i see that is part of the design.

I would just fire it up again and see how it goes.

I guess the painted stoves smoke and smell quite a bit in the initial fires. More than my stove that's victorious enamel. Actually they will smell a bit every time they hit a new high temp. I'd do a few more burns at 250- 300 for a little longer each time. I'm sure it will all clear up. The good news is if your getting to 300, draft is fine, and the wood seems dry enough.

The break in fires boil latent moisture out of the furnace cement in the joints. And in the past people have had it drip out of joints on break-in. But I thought Jotul had gone to gaskets instead of furnace cement these days. Maybe not. I would get the dealer out there to check it out and 'splain this one.

Agreed. It may be a bad batch of cement was used on that area. The stove needs to be carefully checked for leaks in that area if the cement has failed.

If you want to investigate the rear shield should be pulled off and then in a darkened room shine a bright light on the rear interior seams while a helper looks outside to see light leaks.

Agreed with BB and BG. I got my F500 last January and had a big glop of cement on my secondary tubes. Didnt think much of it and started my break in burns. The 200 was fine, the 300 started to get away from me. Found out there were two spots where Jotul didnt cement the seams really well. Found that by doing the dark room flashlight test. Easily saw light outside the stove. Small holes about the size of a no. 2 pencils lead.

Dealer came out and recemented the inside of the whole stove. Finished break in after curing the cement slowly and all has been well since.

When I did my spring cleaning of the stove, i added a bit more cement to feel better about some spots where it dried and shrunk throughout the season. Probably didnt need to, but did anyway.

BB, my F500 is a 2013 model and has cement at all seams.

Jotul started doing the assembly in the U.S. last year. Hope they don't get sloppy.

I am doing a second 300 degree break in this morning (started it before reading the new posts starting with BB). The side that dripped cement yesterday seems totally fine today at 300 degree. Just checked the stove though (holding steady and not breaking 300 for even a moment) and now the exact same spot on the other side of the stove has some cement bubbling out. Guess I'm going to call the dealer...what a bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.