Help settle a clearances question please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KG19

May 15, 2022
SW Wisconsin
Just had a PE Alderlea T6 installed, super happy with it and can’t wait to use it this fall. I posted a photo to Reddit and almost right away got a comment saying that the rear clearance of 7.5” isn’t being met.

My installer said that since I have a 4” brick hearth wall over the combustible wall behind it, he could place the stove at about 3.5” from the brick wall. In other words, measuring to the combustible wall as though the brick isn’t even there. I trust this installer but I wanted to get more opinions from those of you with extensive knowledge of clearances. I have attached photos. The commenters on Reddit said that brick will still transfer heat to the combustible wall behind it.

To summarize, can the alderlea be 7.5” from a combustible wall if about 4” of that space is occupied by a non-combustible brick covering? Thanks in advance!

Help settle a clearances question please Help settle a clearances question please Help settle a clearances question pleaseHelp settle a clearances question please

Congratulations! The measurement is to the nearest combustible behind the stove. In this case it's the wood paneling. If the stove back is 7.5" to the wood wall paneling it's ok as long as the stove pipe is double-walled.

FWIW, the T6 does not radiate a lot of heat behind it, the rear shielding is quite good. Also, the brick will add some addtional protection. NFPA lists 3.5" brick as affording a 33% reduction. It should be fine. Enjoy the stove!

PS: Modern stoves need fully seasoned firewood to burn well. By now you should have at least a few cords of fully seasoned firewood stacked and top covered. Don't trust wood sellers word for the wood being "seasoned". It's not seasoned if it has been hanging around and log lengths and just split last month.

Last edited:
Congratulations! The measurement is to the nearest combustible behind the stove. In this case it's the wood paneling. If the stove back is 7.5" to the wood wall paneling it's ok as long as the stove pipe is double-walled.

FWIW, the T6 does not radiate a lot of heat behind it, the rear shielding is quite good. Also, the brick will add some addtional protection. NFPA lists 3.5" brick as affording a 33% reduction. It should be fine. Enjoy the stove!

PS: Modern stoves need fully seasoned firewood to burn well. By now you should have at least a few cords of fully seasoned firewood stacked and top covered. Don't trust wood sellers word for the wood being "seasoned". It's not seasoned if it has been hanging around and log lengths and just split last month.
Ok, thank you! I think I actually posted this question a few months ago and you told me the same thing but now that it’s actually installed I just wanted to make sure since I have actual measurements and people were questioning it. Also, regarding the wood paneling, there actually no wood paneling directly behind the brick, it goes around the brick. I can’t really tell what the actual material is behind the brick as I’m only able to see a tiny bit between the wood panel and the top of the brick but I’d have to assume it’s combustible. Either way it should be good as you’ve confirmed. Thanks again!

No worries about seasoned wood. I cut all my own and I’ve got 7 cords that has been split and stacked for 3 years now. I didn’t get to use hardly any last season because of some problems with my old stove