Help on design of boiler in shop with forced air furnace's in home and unpressurized storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcowan

Sep 7, 2011
Southwest MO
I've read a lot of posts on this site and am wanting to get some confirmation/opinions one my current best thoughts on my setup. I have a 4000 sq feet home I have calculated at peak btu loss of 90k btu's / hr. Last year I burned 1400 gallons of propane which seems to be in line with those numbers. My current heating is a propane furnace for basement and first floor and electric furnace for second floor. In the past I usually only really run the propane furnace because the upstairs is very open to the first floor and gets most heat from there. I am thinking for this year I will probably only by a heat exchanger for the propane furnace. It is 19x20 which show peak #'s of 150k btu / hr. I have a 30x40 shop that I plan on putting the boiler in. My current plan is an EKO 60. I will heat the shop a couple days a week probably. I have access to 500 gallon stainless containers for free so I plan on using 2 of those for storage. These could take about 10psi only so I plan to use them unpressurized. My house and shop are separated by about about 80 feet. I plan to buy 1 1/4" thermopex to install between them and also run some conduit for control wires and any other wires. I plan to by a water to air heat exchanger with fan for the shop. Based on my propane usage I am planning on 7 cords / year. My main questions are is any of this out of line or dumb? Also I plan on running a small pressurized loop from boiler to storage and use a flat plate heat exchanger to go to the 2 x 500 gallon storage tanks. I see a lot of schematics for hydronic heat but not a lot for forced air. I know they are similar but the heat requirements on water to air heat exchangers are much higher so I want to have priority to it before storage. I am up in the air on if the loop from shop -> house -> water / air heat exchanger should be off the pressurized loop of the boiler or from the storage. Hoping someone hear can give some advice / example schematics on that. Thanks in advance for any advice!

I am up in the air on if the loop from shop -> house -> water / air heat exchanger should be off the pressurized loop of the boiler or from the storage.

Water/air heat exchangers normally require hotter water to get rated btuh output. Check the rating on the heat exchanger against your requirements. Supplying the heat exchanger from a pressurized source rather than unpressurized to a pressurized loop with a plate hx usually results in about a 10F temperature drop, which may not give you the hot water you need for best performance of the water/air heat exchanger.

I'm going back and forth on if I should do storage. I know there are benefits but I'm not sure it is worth it since I will be using water -> air heat exchangers which require > 150 and prefer 180 to be fully effective. Any guidance on this?

dcowan said:
I'm going back and forth on if I should do storage. I know there are benefits but I'm not sure it is worth it since I will be using water -> air heat exchangers which require > 150 and prefer 180 to be fully effective. Any guidance on this?

I have a very similar situation but my house is smaller at 2850 finished sq ft. I live in Wisconsin and my heat loss is 48k at -15.

I am just piping my storage after running an Econoburn 200 last year without. It worked great but as warmer temps came it was harder to manage without excessive creosote.

I have the same size heat exchanger and I can tell you with my house I can heat down to 130 degree water. Is it as comfortable as 175, no but it can get me by. I have mine piped with an auqua-stat and time delay at the exchanger that is set for 130, if the water is not 130 after 3 minutes the time delay kills the zone pump and the lp furnace kicks on. It is a great set up with no additional thermostats.

I will know more about my storage soon but I expect it to be a nice addition to my system, adding some convienience factor during shoulder season, one big load to storage vs many small loads.

Gg

Good to know. Do you plan on going pressurized or non pressurized? Also what size storage are you planning? Is your boiler in the house or in a shop / building?

My boiler is in a separate boiler room from my new shed, 1000 gallon pressurized lp tank storage is there also. It is a 115 foot run to my attached garage on the house. I also used 32 mm Logstor, which is the same as 1-1/4" thermopex. I put in a 2" conduit for power and two 1-1/2" conduits for low voltage wiring.

Building, Tank is in the enclosed area behind 12X16 boiler room.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/63522/

Inside boiler rm

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/67361/

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.