Help Needed: Wood Stove Choice for 1500sqft in Port Townsend, WA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

travheller

Sep 29, 2024
Port Hadlock, WA
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for advice on choosing a wood stove for my 1500 sqft home near Port Townsend, WA (climate zone 8b-9a w/ lows 15-25°F).

Home Details:​

• Two stories -- two small bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs.
  • Chimney is centrally located and has been cleared by a chimney expert.
  • Built in 1982, the insulation is decent, but the house breathes well due to cedar board and batten siding.
  • Stove will be located in the living room (12'x14' w/ 8' ceilings) which connects to a kitchen and great room (14'x24' w/ 12' ceilings), lots of large south-facing windows.
  • Far side of house has laundry, bathroom, and another bedroom.

Usage:​

We plan to use the stove for daily heating. We might install mini splits in the future, but not for a few seasons. I have access to seasoned firewood, but I’m concerned that Blaze King models might be more particular and picky. I also understand it's a learning curve and I'd eventually be fine.

Stoves I'm Considering:​

1. Woodstock Palladian or Keystone: Concerned it may be too small (rated for 1300 sqft) and need frequent reloading
  2. Woodstock Fireview: Seems like a good size; unsure about ease of use (no ash pan?)
  3. Blaze King Ashford 20: Promising option. I like the cast iron. Would the 30 be overkill?
  4. Blaze King Princess: Worried it might be too large and overheat my space. Love the idea of long burns tho.

Questions and Concerns:​

• What size should I be looking at amongst these? Any other stoves in particular that I should be considering?
  • I understand that it’s generally better to load the firebox and run the stove hot. Does this mean I should steer clear of the larger models (BK Ashford 30 and Princess ) as they'll heat me out of the house, or do those larger fireboxes simply mean that I'm going to get longer burns once I turn the stove down and am running off the catalytic system?
  • I'm curious about lived experience with the difference between having a Woodstock w/ soapstone and thermal mass for extended heat release versus the longer burn times with the Blaze King stoves.
I appreciate any insights you can share and what I should be thinking about!

Thank you so much!

All of these would work, just to varying degrees (pun intended). BK stoves are thermostatically operated. The bigger firebox means a longer burn time but not necessarily more heat unless the thermostat is turned up for colder weather. All modern stoves require fully seasoned wood and proper draft to burn well. About how tall will the flue system be on the stove?

Reactions: Highbeam
For the BK, the low output will be approximately the same; the 30 models just can do so for longer.
The firebox volume is basically a fuel tank, and when running low, the cat provides most of the heat

The connections to the other rooms determine whether heat can spread enough...

So based on what y'all are telling me, the Princess should be just fine? I was told by a stove salesperson that I should be aiming for about a 2 cubic foot firebox, but based on my research and what I'm reading here, catalytic stoves don't follow that rule as much.

The flue on the stove exits out the second story of the roof, so 20' or 25'. The hole in the chimney where the stovepipe connects is at about 6'.

Reactions: BKVP
A sketch of the layout including door opening widths would help.
If the heat can't get out of the stove room, it's better to have a stove that isn't too big.

The BK 30 model can go down to about 3.5 electric heaters of 1500W heat output

Here’s a sketch!

[Hearth.com] Help Needed: Wood Stove Choice for 1500sqft in Port Townsend, WA

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for advice on choosing a wood stove for my 1500 sqft home near Port Townsend, WA (climate zone 8b-9a w/ lows 15-25°F).

Home Details:​

• Two stories -- two small bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs.
  • Chimney is centrally located and has been cleared by a chimney expert.
  • Built in 1982, the insulation is decent, but the house breathes well due to cedar board and batten siding.
  • Stove will be located in the living room (12'x14' w/ 8' ceilings) which connects to a kitchen and great room (14'x24' w/ 12' ceilings), lots of large south-facing windows.
  • Far side of house has laundry, bathroom, and another bedroom.

Usage:​

We plan to use the stove for daily heating. We might install mini splits in the future, but not for a few seasons. I have access to seasoned firewood, but I’m concerned that Blaze King models might be more particular and picky. I also understand it's a learning curve and I'd eventually be fine.

Stoves I'm Considering:​

1. Woodstock Palladian or Keystone: Concerned it may be too small (rated for 1300 sqft) and need frequent reloading
  2. Woodstock Fireview: Seems like a good size; unsure about ease of use (no ash pan?)
  3. Blaze King Ashford 20: Promising option. I like the cast iron. Would the 30 be overkill?
  4. Blaze King Princess: Worried it might be too large and overheat my space. Love the idea of long burns tho.

Questions and Concerns:​

• What size should I be looking at amongst these? Any other stoves in particular that I should be considering?
  • I understand that it’s generally better to load the firebox and run the stove hot. Does this mean I should steer clear of the larger models (BK Ashford 30 and Princess ) as they'll heat me out of the house, or do those larger fireboxes simply mean that I'm going to get longer burns once I turn the stove down and am running off the catalytic system?
  • I'm curious about lived experience with the difference between having a Woodstock w/ soapstone and thermal mass for extended heat release versus the longer burn times with the Blaze King stoves.
I appreciate any insights you can share and what I should be thinking about!

Thank you so much!

Hello, I grew up in Silverdale just down the road a bit from you. I currently live near Enumclaw so similar climate with a 1700 SF home from 1963 though insulation has been improved. Frost on the roof this morning!

I had a soapstone hearthstone heritage in this house for several years and I found the stone to be more of a drawback. It takes a long time to heat up when you're cold. Our climate is warm enough (with large daily swings) and our houses small enough that it is better to be able to reduce or increase the heat output of a stove quickly which is much easier with a non stone stove. We do more catching up than people back east where it's just cold. Stone stoves look really cool though.

I currently use a princess. It's on season 13 for me and is a good match for my home and climate. The deep ash belly is hugely important. I reload every 24 hours in the colder months and that's also very important for full time wood heating. Burning doug fir there is nearly no ash and I only empty ashes once or twice per year. Maple has more ash but that belly will hold many weeks of ash regardless. I would recommend that you not consider a BK20 model. A 30 box or princess is the sweet spot and I prefer the simplicity and performance of the less attractive princess.

Woodstock stoves have a strong/bold aesthetic. If that's what you want then the stoves are very well made and a good company. People are happy with the 2 woodstock choices you mention and they are legacy stove designs meaning all the bugs are worked out. Small stoves with small wood and pretty big hearth requirements.

Reactions: begreen
Hello, I grew up in Silverdale just down the road a bit from you. I currently live near Enumclaw so similar climate with a 1700 SF home from 1963 though insulation has been improved. Frost on the roof this morning!

I had a soapstone hearthstone heritage in this house for several years and I found the stone to be more of a drawback. It takes a long time to heat up when you're cold. Our climate is warm enough (with large daily swings) and our houses small enough that it is better to be able to reduce or increase the heat output of a stove quickly which is much easier with a non stone stove. We do more catching up than people back east where it's just cold. Stone stoves look really cool though.

I currently use a princess. It's on season 13 for me and is a good match for my home and climate. The deep ash belly is hugely important. I reload every 24 hours in the colder months and that's also very important for full time wood heating. Burning doug fir there is nearly no ash and I only empty ashes once or twice per year. Maple has more ash but that belly will hold many weeks of ash regardless. I would recommend that you not consider a BK20 model. A 30 box or princess is the sweet spot and I prefer the simplicity and performance of the less attractive princess.

Woodstock stoves have a strong/bold aesthetic. If that's what you want then the stoves are very well made and a good company. People are happy with the 2 woodstock choices you mention and they are legacy stove designs meaning all the bugs are worked out. Small stoves with small wood and pretty big hearth requirements.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply! Enumclaw is definitely colder than where we're at, but similar enough. At this point I'm leaning towards either the BK Ashford 30 or the Princess. They seem similar enough, so it really depends on my wife's design preferences. Which base for the princess do you have? Is it worth it getting the ultra pedestal kit with ash pan, or doesn't really matter cause the belly is deep enough?

Chimney is. . . tallish? 20-25 feet, brick masonry on the inside of the house. No idea about the flue itself.
Thats going to be important to know, probably the first thing you should sort out before thinking about buying a stove. You will want to know its diameter and if its insulated or not to figure out the best way to go.

Thats going to be important to know, probably the first thing you should sort out before thinking about buying a stove. You will want to know its diameter and if its insulated or not to figure out the best way to go.
It's 6", I assume it's insulated as it's been used for a wood stove previously and is surrounded by brick. Why does it matter whether the flue inside the brick chimney is insulated?

It's 6", I assume it's insulated as it's been used for a wood stove previously and is surrounded by brick. Why does it matter whether the flue inside the brick chimney is insulated?
BK stoves run lower exhaust temps and typically like an insulated flue in order to keep gasses warm and minimize creosote formation.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply! Enumclaw is definitely colder than where we're at, but similar enough. At this point I'm leaning towards either the BK Ashford 30 or the Princess. They seem similar enough, so it really depends on my wife's design preferences. Which base for the princess do you have? Is it worth it getting the ultra pedestal kit with ash pan, or doesn't really matter cause the belly is deep enough?

My princess is the ultra model with a pedestal base and the ash pan. I do use the ash pan, it holds about 2" of ash depth of the 6" total possible firebox belly. I try to leave an inch on the floor and if it builds up too high then I can't fit as much wood in and more wood means more burn time. Scooping the ash out into a bucket is just dustier in my experience and the ash pan on the pedestal is reasonably large. Some ash pans are stupid small and not worth the hassle!

One thought, if you are running a modern cat stove on low for maximum burn time and/or minimum output you won't see a big flameshow. More of a glowing pile of coals. All stoves make lots of flames at higher outputs.

You have plenty of chimney height for the ashford. That stove needs a bit more chimney to draft well. Go and see one, the butt is not cast iron. The door latch is "different" and it might take some getting used to.

I bought my princess in Bremerton at Kitsap lumber but I'm not sure if they still sell stoves. Aqua rec does sell them and they're all over.

BK stoves run lower exhaust temps and typically like an insulated flue in order to keep gasses warm and minimize creosote formation.
That, but also to meet code requirements.

Don't assume it's insulated, more often than not they are not insulated. If you ever have a big chimney fire insulation can be the difference between your house burning down or not.

BeGreen is correct. NFPA2.11 stipulates the clearances required around masonry chimney to a combustible surface are 1" if the chimney is on an exterior wall and 2" if the chimney is on and interior wall.

The peace of mind and the benefits for increased draft performance make insulated liners a plus. As for the vertical rise off the stove to the chimney inlet, 24" is the minimum and 36" is preferred. Using double wall stove pipe and two 45's instead of a fixed 90 are also ideal.

I saw her the other day when a moderator suggested to a visitor to download the manual from our website to become more familiar with installation requirements and measurements(i.e. height of stove depends upon base and comparing that to the flue inlet point).

BKVP

Sorry, I've been away but you have gotten good advice.

I do note that your great room won't get much heat (it'll need a fan to move colder air from the room to the stove room). That also means I wouldn't go with a stove that can't be run at low output. For a bigger stove that means more frequent loading of small fires.

Neat Place where you live! I switched to pellets because of Bugs and Easy of Loading Them. Had Blaze King King (Way Overkill for you). But you have some warm spells. Pellet stove tons easier to regulate heat with Warm Spells. Can you get Free Wood?

[Hearth.com] Help Needed: Wood Stove Choice for 1500sqft in Port Townsend, WA