Help me to choose a wood-burning ZC fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wantolearn

Mar 7, 2016
Central Texas
I have already spent way too much time trying to decide on a fireplace for our new construction and now I need help from the experts. I got quotes from 4 different dealers for the following fireplaces:
- Astria Montecito (good price for the unit, but not sure about the product)
- Fireplace xtrordinair Elite 36 and 44 (too pricey for our needs)
- Quadra 7100 (too big for our needs)
- Heat & Glo Northstar/Constitution (almost went with this but not too sure about the dealer/installer)
- Superior Fireplaces WCT6820 & WCT4820 (prices are good, dealer/installer ok, but did not see any reviews on them)
- Flame Monaco (online) (price is good, reviews are good, but we have to install ourselves)

Since we have pretty mild winters (lows mostly in the 20s and occasionally in the teens) we do not need our fireplace burning round the clock, so I am opting to go for a cheaper unit. The dealer/installer for the Superior fireplaces, who seemed more knowledgeable than others, gave me a turn key bid which was not too much higher than the online quote I got for the same units. I am leaning to go with one of the Superior units, but only hesitation is that I haven't seen any reviews on those either here or anywhere else. The other choice is Flame Monaco (seen more discussion on this unit on this forum) - buy it online and install it ourselves.

So my question is, how good are the Superior Fireplaces products? or is Flame Monaco a far better product?

Thanks for your advice,
- cmg.

I understand this is new construction, are you space restricted at all? Is it going in an interior wall or corner (being zc and all)? External dims may be a deciding factor.

I have a Kozy heat z-42 in that replaced a contractor grade zc unit (existing construction) . Very reasonably priced, non catalytic. The heat output is a little spikey as any non cat is.

I understand this is new construction, are you space restricted at all? Is it going in an interior wall or corner (being zc and all)? External dims may be a deciding factor.

I have a Kozy heat z-42 in that replaced a contractor grade zc unit (existing construction) . Very reasonably priced, non catalytic. The heat output is a little spikey as any non cat is.

It is a going on a external wall. 5ft of space flanked by windows.

Unfortunately, looks like we have no dealers for Kozy Heat in all of Texas.

Of the ones listed above I'd be most interested in the Heatilator Constitution.

Fireplace X sure are nice, I agree too much $$$.

Superior = Lennox, I looked at them, my local dealer was way high and I wasn't impressed. Get brick inside if you can instead of panels. Def stay away from Napoleon if they pop up.

Might also check out:
Osburn Stratford (upgraded Flame Monaco)
RSF Opel 3
Supreme Galaxy

There are quite a few happy Monaco Flame owners around. That unit seems to be a quality economical choice.

I'm attaching a list I compiles of Zero Clearance FP's. I would stay with the small cubic feet models since you only have 5 feet to work with.

Let us know what you choose.
Matt
ZC FP Specs Sheet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Matt. I have already seen your list while I was searching the forums. I have decided to go with the Flame Monaco fireplace based on the reviews and bought it online. It will be delivered next week. We will be installing it ourselves. I will post how it all goes once we finish.

cmg.

Thanks, Matt. I have already seen your list while I was searching the forums. I have decided to go with the Flame Monaco fireplace based on the reviews and bought it online. It will be delivered next week. We will be installing it ourselves. I will post how it all goes once we finish.

cmg.
Hi, did you install your Monaco? We are thinking of ordering one!

What ever brand you go with make sure this is no restriction on burning times, some units say not to go over 10hrs of continuous use, avoid those (builders grade usually) since they will more than likely burn out in a few years.

Just installed a Quardra 7100 last week! Unit is pricey but wow is it amazing! So much heat output. Came with the Everytjing for the install minus 6 and 4 inch flex pipe for chimney fresh air and outside air. Have achieved 12 + hour burn times so far! Good Luck

Attachments

• IMG_1086.JPG
    IMG_1086.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 486
That is one gorgeous fireplace Bgunner! Congrats - nice work!

Can I ask, for the 6-inch outside air kit (OAK) - did you insulate the 6-inch duct pipe? I'm having the Northstar delivered in the next few weeks...

Thanks,
Matt

That is one gorgeous fireplace Bgunner! Congrats - nice work!

Can I ask, for the 6-inch outside air kit (OAK) - did you insulate the 6-inch duct pipe? I'm having the Northstar delivered in the next few weeks...

Thanks,
Matt

Thanks Matt!

I did not insulate the 6 inch duct. My run is less than 2 feet and when i framed the "Dog House" it all got insulated with stone insulation and covered in Hardibacker. So I am not concerned with the condesation causing Issues with framing or Mold. Not sure any other reason to insulate. Only Minor issue I am having with my unit is Darkening of the glass. I think my wood is too wet. So keep that in mind with your new unit ZC and hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

Brandon

There are quite a few happy Monaco Flame owners around. That unit seems to be a quality economical choice.
Hi, we are installing a Monaco Flame and will be installing the OAK out the back of the unit directly through the back of the chimney chase. There will only be maybe 8 inches of insulated pipe needed to get to the outside. Do we still need to loop it? Or is a straight run of the pipe out to the vent okay?

Hi, we are installing a Monaco Flame and will be installing the OAK out the back of the unit directly through the back of the chimney chase. There will only be maybe 8 inches of insulated pipe needed to get to the outside. Do we still need to loop it? Or is a straight run of the pipe out to the vent okay?
Probably ok. Winters in your area are not like winters in Canada or New England.