Help - Dry and Irritated eyes, last resort.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Johnstanton123

Sep 24, 2024
England
I had a stove fitted last winter and after around a month my partner started getting seriously dry and irritated eyes when the stove had been on or was on. She says he eyes feel irritated even after being in the house for a few minutes.

I have tried everything under the sun to fix it including:
1. Running a Humidifier and humidity meters (room is always around 50-60%).
2. Running an air purifier constantly.
3. Not opening the fires door at all once I've lit the fire lighter.
4. Hoovering and wiping the stove and surrounding to make sure it's free from any ash before lighting.
5. Not storing any wood in the house.

If anyone has any more suggestions? Could the paint surround the fireplace be an issue or the varnish on the above beam?

[Hearth.com] Help - Dry and Irritated eyes, last resort. [Hearth.com] Help - Dry and Irritated eyes, last resort.

It could be the paint which needs to bake in. This is done by getting the stove temperature above 500ºF (260ºC). Can you have a hot fire in the stove on a day when she is not at home?

And with the windows all open fans on etc. to get as much of any paint vapors out of the house

Reactions: Pinesmoke