Help! Can’t get liner down.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pghbjr

Sep 11, 2019
Pittsburgh
So I’ve really messed up. I have a 30’ chimney with 8x12 flue tiles, and desperately want a wood stove in my fireplace. The chimney has never burned wood (old gas heater was used), and the tiles are in perfect shape. Trouble is, there’s an offset and I absolutely can’t get a 6” liner down. Now I’ve got 10’ of liner in the top of the chimney, about down to the offset.

1). Does it make sense to run the rest of the liner from the bottom up and just have the offset unlined? It doesn’t seem like that would draft very well.
2). Can I yank the top 10’ out and use insulated rigid stainless liner from the stove up about 16’ to the offset and put in a block off plate? That would leave the offset and about 10’ or chimney unlined.

The stove isn’t my primary heat source, so all I want is enough draft to enjoy a wood stove.

Main concern: not wanting to risk a fire.
Not main concern: being up to code. I’m realize that may be the same thing.

Thanks anyone for help. Pretty exhausted after being on a hot roof all day and discouraged.

bholler might be able to help you.

You could try putting a nose cone on the liner, have someone pulling from below to get around jogs- while someone on top is pushing and turning... I'm sure you'll hear knock the tiles out, never like that. Could hire a professional chimney guy too, that's why they exist! Good luck with it.

Reactions: Raoul
You have a few options. Get the liner ovalized. Break out the clay tiles or cut holes in the chimney in the area of the offset to clear for the liner to go through. Any of your other ideas will create a setup that will be impossible to clean properly.

Also you should really be using an insulated liner as well for safety and performance reasons. Which means oval or tile removal.

Thanks guys. It was a pre-insulated flex liner. The 8x12” is the ID of the tiles, and it was ridiculously tight even getting in the straight part. I really didn’t want to go the tile-busting route but I think I’m going to have to. Especially since I shelled out a bunch of money on this liner anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. It was a pre-insulated flex liner. The 8x12” is the ID of the tiles, and it was ridiculously tight even getting in the straight part. I really didn’t want to go the tile-busting route but I think I’m going to have to. Especially since I shelled out a bunch of money on this liner anyway.

Glad to hear you are going insulated. And because it is preinsulated you can't ovalize it now. So breakout may be your only option.

So I’ve really messed up. I have a 30’ chimney with 8x12 flue tiles, and desperately want a wood stove in my fireplace. The chimney has never burned wood (old gas heater was used), and the tiles are in perfect shape. Trouble is, there’s an offset and I absolutely can’t get a 6” liner down. Now I’ve got 10’ of liner in the top of the chimney, about down to the offset.

1). Does it make sense to run the rest of the liner from the bottom up and just have the offset unlined? It doesn’t seem like that would draft very well.
2). Can I yank the top 10’ out and use insulated rigid stainless liner from the stove up about 16’ to the offset and put in a block off plate? That would leave the offset and about 10’ or chimney unlined.

The stove isn’t my primary heat source, so all I want is enough draft to enjoy a wood stove.

Main concern: not wanting to risk a fire.
Not main concern: being up to code. I’m realize that may be the same thing.

Thanks anyone for help. Pretty exhausted after being on a hot roof all day and discouraged.

I had a similar situation when installing my 6" uninsulated liner down my tiled chimney. What worked for me was attaching a rope to the end of the liner and having someone pull it down while I shoved it down the chimney from the top. By the sounds of things your offset is much greater than mine so it may not work for you.

Any pictures?

Best of luck

Forcing a liner into an offset can get it really stuck. And that really is not fun

Forcing a liner into an offset can get it really stuck. And that really is not fun

He said the chimney is 30 feet and the offset is 10 feet down. How would a person knock out the tile to enlarge the offset area 10 feet down? A stone chisel on a rope or chain?

I found this video on DIY clay liner removal. Pretty good technique. I would hate to do it on a hot roof all day. It looks like a cool weather job.

Last edited:
He said the chimney is 30 feet and the offset is 10 feet down. How would a person knock out the tile to enlarge the offset area 10 feet down? A stone chisel on a rope or chain?

I found this video on DIY clay liner removal. Pretty good technique. I would hate to do it on a hot roof all day. It looks like a cool weather job.

With a tile breaker. It usually only takes an hour or 2 to beak out a liner.

Screenshot_20190913-105940_Dolphin.jpg

Someone is coming out next week to give me an estimate on breaking the tile and running a 6”. Here’s hoping it isn’t ridiculously expensive.

Someone is coming out next week to give me an estimate on breaking the tile and running a 6”. Here’s hoping it isn’t ridiculously expensive.

You already have the liner so it will just be the install cost

As someone who is facing a similar situation, what was the final outcome? Did you ovalize the liner? Break out tiles? Pay an arm & a leg? I already bought a liner as well and the sweep that got back to me said he wouldn't use the liner I had bought. Any one have contacts in Mid-MO?

As someone who is facing a similar situation, what was the final outcome? Did you ovalize the liner? Break out tiles? Pay an arm & a leg? I already bought a liner as well and the sweep that got back to me said he wouldn't use the liner I had bought. Any one have contacts in Mid-MO?
I will pretty much never use a customer supplied liner either unless it is from a source I know and trust.