Hedge splits nicely

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
Headed down the road to spend an hour working on the pile that my friend got for us. Well, the stack has doubled in size since the last pictures (sorry, no pics toady). We also split a couple of chunks of osage that he had cut down and to our surprise it split cleanly. I figured it would be harder to split. Split some locust too and boy did I like the way that smelled.

fv

Wow talk about having all primo wood to split. That's awesome cant get ugh Bette than hedge and locust!

Reactions: fireview2788
I've never had much trouble splitting hedge, but I've never had a "big load" of it either. I've read where others here have found it hard to split. I think a lot depends on the conditions in which the tree grew more than anything. I've seen some Osage/hedge trees that looks like a giant screwed then into the ground they are so twisted.

Top of the food chain wood ;)
Lots of BTUs.
How ling will it get to dry before it gets burned?

It'll be a couple of years before I'm digging into it.

As far as primo, I've been blessed. These guys know I'm a burner and thought of me immediately. The only deal we have is that we are using my splitter and he is keeping some to burn and some to sell but the bulk of it is mine. If I were to guess we are over 10 cords piled up waiting to be split. Another added benefit is that we are splitting on his woods so all the debris is getting left there.

fv

Reactions: swagler85
It'll be a couple of years before I'm digging into it.

As far as primo, I've been blessed. These guys know I'm a burner and thought of me immediately. The only deal we have is that we are using my splitter and he is keeping some to burn and some to sell but the bulk of it is mine. If I were to guess we are over 10 cords piled up waiting to be split. Another added benefit is that we are splitting on his woods so all the debris is getting left there.

fv
Fantastic deal

Reactions: fireview2788
Hedge can go either way. Some splits about the same as black locust (easy) and others suck entirely.

When the grain looks like this you've got an issue.

Hedge splits nicely

Does wavy bark indicate wavy wood grain? Ive never really looked for that. I know a lot of limbs can create some crazy wood.

The bark usually hides a wave pretty well but most of the time you can see a twist in the tree. Kind of hard to describe, but if you look close you'll usually see where a vertical line wraps part of the way around a tree.

Headed down the road to spend an hour working on the pile that my friend got for us. Well, the stack has doubled in size since the last pictures (sorry, no pics toady). We also split a couple of chunks of osage that he had cut down and to our surprise it split cleanly. I figured it would be harder to split. Split some locust too and boy did I like the way that smelled.

fv
Just don't burn those two together. You'll end up with a puddle of cast iron in the morning.;lol

Just don't burn those two together. You'll end up with a puddle of cast iron in the morning.;lol

No doubt! I'm hoping that as we split and toss and then move it up the road and then I stack it they will mix nicely. I hope.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.